Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Took inventory, so to speak >
  • Took inventory, so to speak

• Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
    *sheepishly raises hand*
    What a great cartoon! I can certainly relate, sometimes I do feel it is an addiction.
    Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I buy fabric because I like to and I can. I may use it or I may not. Doesn't matter to me. I like having it.

I agree. Actually, I consider myself a "Fabric Collector." You should see all the Layer Cakes and Charm Packs I have. I don't have plans for them - - I just like to collect them! I don't care if I never use up all my fabric. I just like to look at it and pet it and fold it and pet it and refold it and stack it.... When I see patterns that say "Stash Buster", I'm like ....Who would want to bust their stash???! NOT ME!!!
    Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM

I love to buy fabric. Something catches my eye and I just have to have it. I notice fabric is going up in price lately so that may halt my spending and buyingso much.
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:13 PM

The economy has not been so nice to some of us retirees so I am working at using up that huge stash and making things for my grandkids as well as making quilted projects.
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by JudithAnn
    The economy has not been so nice to some of us retirees so I am working at using up that huge stash and making things for my grandkids as well as making quilted projects.
    Also, I have made some pieced curtains!
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I certainly am not complaining about having too much... :P :P :P

I built it up and love to admire it. I remember reading a thread several months ago where members thought that a lady who had a trailer full of fabric was a horder and that she should donate her fabric so others could use it instead of it being stored.

I was bothered by this because those of us who do have a stash most likely have spent years collecting it, admiring it, feeling it - loving it. IF we choose to bless others, that is wonderful, but to feel in any way obligated to share our stash with others is unfair to expect from us. I have helped friends get started quilting and let them "shop" my stash, I have donated fabric for charity quilts, and I have passed on fabric to other quilters who I have met over the years. However, so much of my stash feels like family to me. I just could not imagine parting with it... even to a quilt.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    Thank you for explaining this so well! I've done and do support charities, newbies, etc. and the class I'm teaching right now. There have been many many suggestions on how to acquire a stash, from checking out thrift stores to watching for great sales. Envy us but also follow our lead on how we got here.

Sorry, don't mean to be so defensive. Let's just say someone is trying to shop my stash and I feel a bit unsettled. Not to worry.
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:22 PM

The size of our stashes probably does have to do with our personality. But, as I tell my customers all the time, it's cheaper than therapy. Not a joke, at least fabriholics have something ti show for their addiction. Some people collect stamps, we collect fabric and have the added advantage of being able to turn it into something else at will. We have no reason to feel guilty. "She who dies with the most fabric, wins." LOL
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM
    Power Poster

Me But I decided this year that I will try as hard as I can to make from the fabric I have instead of going out to buy and so far it has been working.
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 PM

I looked with much envy at all these lovely stashes. I had a large stash also, however, last year while we gone for the winter, thieves took every bit of fabric,buttons,thread,scissors,cutters, ect. out of my sewing room, I guess of all that was taken, I cried most about my sewing room .. at age 75, I still love to sew, and surely can not afford to replace all that.insurance was dubious about 125 as an estimate of thread alone, so you see? we came out one the short end for that room. All was taken from the house except our upholstred furniture, t.v. waher dryer, ect. silverware, linens and all our dear collectibles. not sobbing, nor complaining, just thank ful all our children are ok, God is still in control. and soon , we hope, the thieves will,meet justice.

just venting maybe.. anyone got extra let me know.

jaciew
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Sorry, don't mean to be so defensive. Let's just say someone is trying to shop my stash and I feel a bit unsettled. Not to worry.
    QBeth,

If someone on this board is looking at our stashes and thinks that we are posting as an "advertisement" of sorts for them to request fabric directly from you, you have the right to be a bit defensive.

When I begin my collection, I worked two jobs, one as a high school teacher (with large college loans to pay off) and then in the evening and weekends working at a department store selling fine jewelry for about 30 hours a week for four LONG years. I was trying to pay off a car, pay my parents back for the loan to get a place to live, and start a 403B. The extra money I had often went to my wardrobe because I didn't have "teacher" clothes. When I did spend money on fabric, I really had to watch for sales and wait until I knew I had the money to cover all my bills. Clothword (now is JoAnns) was down the street from my parents and I would just go browse so I would know what to save up for. I sewed on a hand-me down sewing machine my mom gave me that was older than I was. (I still have it and it still works!)

I rarely pay full price for my fabrics and I am a great fan of e-Bay. I did have a friend give me a bunch of fabric when she moved to Hawaii, but I have sense given away or used much of what she blessed me with. That being said, I cannot imagine someone seeing all the ammunition my husband has (he is a sharpshooter) and assuming that he should share, or someone looking at his coin collection and wanting his duplicates.

BTW - Stating a "generic" request that you would like some fabric is NOT the same in my book as PMing someone asking for it directly.