Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took inventory, so to speak >

Took inventory, so to speak

Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 AM

back when I was teaching quilt classes in AK at a quilt shop, I used ALL my teaching income, and a good part of DHs to buy fabric at my teachers discount! I wanted a nice stash for when we retired.
One huge problem with that, my taste in fabrics has changed!! Well gave huge bags of fabric away, to groups that used it for quilts for those in need. So no worries there. Now I keep my stash down to a nice small amount. (oh dear just counted some) at least 1000 yards just in my sewing room. and have a bolt of black coming. But most now is different than I bought back when I was building my stash.MY more currant fabrics are in my quilt room, my older fabrics ( I didn't count them) are in my stash closet. along with bins of fabrics for cloths. And all my yarns and crochet thread.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 AM

love this

Originally Posted by aorlflood
*sheepishly raises hand*
Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I started quilting when I was young,had to rest a while when my children were growing up,worked full time as an ICU RN.ON call many years as a surgical nurse. So started collecting my stash for when I retired. Done that lol. I have been retired and on a supremely limited income,but my stash lives on. Have to buy maybe one fabric of a special color to do the pattern I want to do. or for a special request for a quilt. Mostly only backings. I save even the smallest scrap for what is called a scrappy quilt. I had so many small pieces that I am making two Dear Janes a scrappy one called Confused Baby Jane and a blue and white one. called singing the blues Baby Jane. O and I gave a friend a large amount of patriotics,red whites and blues to do a Jane. Still cant see the bottom of the barrel so to speak. lol
Would you please post pics of your Confused Baby Jane? Would love to see that one!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by newbee
I justify it by saying it is my contribution to keeping the economy running!!
I call mine "insulation"! It keeps my room insulated in this old house! LOL
Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I buy fabric because I like to and I can..
My problem is I cannot. I am retired with limited income. Like others on this board, I have been sneaking around so my husband won't find out what I have been spending on fabric. The problem: I don't even like some of it I bought. Make quilts from the stash, but I still have to buy batting and backing, and sometimes pay for a long arm quilter. There's gotta be a QA for quilters.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 AM

I have a HUGE stash, too. I am trying to limit myself as to what I buy. This month, I bought 6 yards. I bought the end of the bolt which she charged me for 2 yards but it was actually 2 1/2 yards. Good deal but it is just more for my stash.
I am also keeping track, (silly me) of what I use from my stash for I don't want it to grow any more. So far this month I have used 2 1/2 yards so I need to do some pretty serious sewing before the end of the month to keep the stash in a negative trend. Well, I have a week left for July. So I have plenty of time to work on my stash.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM

I have been going thru some of my scraps to kind of lower those a bit. I have an addiction, too, and it's a killer. Now on a fixed budget, so now I have a monthly quilt budget which is a JOKE!!! I am already into October! Oh well! Here is a pix of just some of my fabrics! Love every last one of them, too!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71889.jpe   attachment-71890.jpe   attachment-71891.jpe   attachment-71892.jpe  
Old 07-24-2010, 08:52 AM

I admit to having stash envy now. I have a very small stash of quilting cotton. Those who love me though, know that the way to my heart is through fabric!! I do try to use what I have before buying more though and when I buy fabric I try to get ones that will go together for a possible quilt even though I don't usually have a specific project in mind. Right now I am trying to "collect" Christmas prints and colors.
Cheriefaye
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Wow! Beautiful job organizing. I have just been doing that ruler thing with my fabric. I have file drawers; 2 down, 4 to go. I am amazed at how much more room I have for more fabric. :lol: :lol:

before of green drawer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71899[/ATTACH]

the mess
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71900[/ATTACH]

after
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71901[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71894.jpe   attachment-71895.jpe   attachment-71896.jpe  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 AM

I have met a lovely lady through our guild and she started quilting to use up the fabric she had...and now she has added to that stash and building up more for new projects. I laughed when she told me this as I said..I am a great enabler so welcome. Then we both laughed.
I make no excuses for what I have or what I buy...I am keeping me happy and sharing my love of quilting with family, friends and charity projects.