Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took inventory, so to speak >

Took inventory, so to speak

Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-24-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Yesterday I started really taking stock of all the fabric I own. I realized that at the rate I am using up fabric, I will be about 200 before I use up my stash. I have decided that I am now on a fabric fast. I am going to concentrate on using the fabric I own instead of running out to the store or jumping on-line for more. I think the fun of planning what I can do with new fabric has gotten out of hand.

I figure I have at least 2000 yards of fabric that is organized right now, not counting all the fabric still left to organize. (Probably at least another couple hundred yards.)

How many others suffer from a stash they cannot use up?
I have enuf to open my own quilt shop.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:42 AM

I started quilting when I was young,had to rest a while when my children were growing up,worked full time as an ICU RN.ON call many years as a surgical nurse. So started collecting my stash for when I retired. Done that lol. I have been retired and on a supremely limited income,but my stash lives on. Have to buy maybe one fabric of a special color to do the pattern I want to do. or for a special request for a quilt. Mostly only backings. I save even the smallest scrap for what is called a scrappy quilt. I had so many small pieces that I am making two Dear Janes a scrappy one called Confused Baby Jane and a blue and white one. called singing the blues Baby Jane. O and I gave a friend a large amount of patriotics,red whites and blues to do a Jane. Still cant see the bottom of the barrel so to speak. lol
Old 07-24-2010, 05:20 AM

I must raise my hand too. I only buy for specific quilts now, for the rest I shop at home. I have to admit, I am not organized like some of you ladies but I did buy the coreplast and my husband is cutting it for me. I intend to get organized (at sometime in the future, LOL).
Old 07-24-2010, 05:21 AM

Cute. I just love it.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 AM

Yes!!!! I just reorganized my stash to shelves my DH put up and realized I had waaaaaay tooo much. I love scrappy quilts but just never seem to use up the fabric. Here's a picture of my re-organized shelves...not quite finished yet but....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72074.jpe  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 AM

OK, I'm a fabric hoarder. Every time I look at my stash I tell myself I'm only going to buy what I need for each individual project as I get to doing it. And I'm going to use up what I have before buying more. Then I IMMEDIATELY run to my LQS or JoAnnes and stock up on fabric I love that has nothing to do with any future projects. I justify it by saying it is my contribution to keeping the economy running!!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 AM

I keep telling my husband my fabric stash is for when I retire, so I don't have to buy any then. So far this year I've made 3 queens and 1 king from what I have on hand. I have 4 Martha Stewart bakers racks that I store most of my fabric on.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:06 AM

I LOVE FABRIC! I don't have nearly the stash that I see here. But love every piece I have. Most of my pieces are a half yard or less, and I will buy for a project. Also love to look at and re re re organize my pieces. I do use the stash and continue to buy small stuff. It really is calming and satisfying to know that fabric is nearby. What can we say. We are what we are. Sew! :roll: :lol:
Old 07-24-2010, 06:12 AM

I love the organized fabric. You are all wonderful.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 AM

Amen. I have more fabric than I will ever use. It would be a good thing for me if the fabric stores would ban me from entering.

We are retired, so if I ever get in a position where I can't afford fabric, I can still keep on quilting.