Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tools/gadgets..what is your experience with these? >

Tools/gadgets..what is your experience with these?

Tools/gadgets..what is your experience with these?

Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the info.
There is no Joanns here but I will check out Amazon, Canada and allbrands to see how prices compare.
Allbrands ships from the U.S. and that adds to my Canadian price.
I am tempted to get that Supreme Slider. My machine opens in the front and the piece that comes out, isn't flush with the rest of the machine bed. As I sew, the fabric sometimes hooks the edge where it isn't flush...jerks the fabric and needle a bit to one side. Do you think the Slider would help with that?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I had to look up Goddess Sheet on Amazon to see what it is. I iron freezer paper to my ironing board to protect the cover when I am fusing, and I use parchment paper underneath and on top of fusibles while ironing to protect the iron and the ironing board. Both freezer paper and parchment paper are inexpensive, last a long time, and I can cut them to whatever size I need. Can't see the advantage to using a Goddess Sheet.

Will be interested to see if anyone has used Polly Paper for applique. I have used freezer paper for years. Freezer paper doesn't leave a residue that I have been able to detect. For $9.99, I could buy an awful lot of freezer paper.

Some people like the Supreme Slider, some don't.

In my opinion, the Sew Steady table is tremendously over-priced even without shipping. Creating your own table a la the Youtube videos on how to do this with styrofoam (I can post links later, if you like) would be both much less expensive and better for quilting.

I have a lot of Thangles. I do like them for creating triangles, but now that I have an Accuquilt Go! it's less work to make triangles that way. I would use Thangles now only for complex patterns that require exquisitely perfect piecing -- not something I often do.

Not sure about the lights. I have been able to light my sewing areas without any specialty lighting.

To be honest, I have gotten past buying a lot of stuff from catalogs. I have drawers full of gadjets and specialty items that I never use.
Prism, all that info is good to know.
I would appreciate the link to the Youtube videos about making the styrofoam tables.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM

I enjoy the Debbie Tucker rulers. All instruction can be seen on her web site under video tutorials.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Supreme Slider is good. More work than I imagined to keep it clean ... it's time to go buy more Baby Wipes already. ugh!
If you're going to get that, you should also own a pair of Machinger's (or at least some kind of grip-y gloves). If not, I would get the gloves first. I love my Machinger's. They make a huge difference in the consistency of my FMQ stitches. The Supreme Slider is nice ... especially for reducing muscle fatigue, but I can still FMQ okay without it.
Also, make sure you tape it down so you don't ruin it because it can slip & slide and I know some people in my quilting guild said they chewed theirs up within days of getting it (and then never bought another one because they are kinda pricey).
Old 09-01-2014, 02:38 PM

To be honest for me the fewer gadgets the better, I have tried a lot of them over the years and wasted a lot of money I have found easy, cheep fixes, ideas from other quilters. I do have some gadgets I love and use regularly. I have never used the Supreme Slider but have not found anyone who used it more than a couple of times. I personally use a good furniture wax (must use as directed) on my sewing table, have no problem moving fabric around on it. Freezer Paper is cheaper and does the same thing, some people think it is better, The sewing table I have never seen, my DH built my table for me. Thangles are again not worth the money, it is a one time use item, check out U Tub for ways to make HST. I have a ruler by Creative Grids that I like and can use it over and over makes multi sizes. I have older machines and my eyes are not what they used to be, I use a goose neck lamp that I can bend and twist until it hits just right. Not sure the brand name but I can easily move it from by my machine to by my chair in the other room, or even take it to retreats.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Gosh, I'm going to be able to save you a lot of money... I'm an addict junkie. :/
Supreme Slider did nothing for me. After a few tries, I gave up - not worth getting out and in position as I saw no difference.

Polly Paper is freezer paper - but comes in flat sheets rather than on a roll. True, when it comes off the roll it does have a little curl - so tear some off and weight it down for a bit; it'll be nice and flat and less expensive.

Thangles - Once I started using Triangulations, I got rid of my Thangles. Triangulations is software that allows you to print any size hst you need, as well as flying geese. I buy doodle pads @ the dollar store, cut to size if needed (I stack several sheets and use an old rotary cutter). The paper tears much easier than the triangulations, I can make whatever size I need in whatever quantity desired w/out having lots of partial packages hanging around

An LED light is nice, but you can probably find something that will work for you in many local shops - hardware/home improvement or crafts. One additional caution: If you do attach to your machine, consider placement of the stick on pieces. I didn't, and when I tried to pack my machine, the case didn't fit!

My sewing table is made from two inexpensive cabinets (under $40 each) with a board over them. Cut a hole in the board to fit my machine, made a shelf that fits under that and is attached to the cabinet back on each side. I have the large surface and storage in the cabinets. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words...
Attached Thumbnails sewing-2.jpg   sewing-3.jpg   sewing-1.jpg  

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 09-01-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Here are the Youtube videos for building your own quilting table (parts 1-3 in order, and update):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwrA...F28BF9&index=6
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Thanks so much. I appreciate it. Will watch them tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM

I use garden gloves with sticky fingers for FMQ (in the spring Costco has a 6 - pack for sale that DD and I split, but sometimes the dollar store gets them -- the stickier the better). I LOVE the Karen K. Buckley scissors -- they are my go to scissors in every size. I got a sew-steady type table free when I bought my machine and I use it all the time for piecing and quilting. I have been doing a lot of my shopping on Amazon or Ebay for gadgets.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Wow! I like peaceandjoy's sewing table. Looks a little high (which is good since I'm 5'11") -- might do a similar set-up for a cutting table with taller cabinets.
I found a simple sewing table tutorial that I plan to do for Christmas -- with a little help -- using a cheap Ikea table & a couple basic tools. It is the most beautiful DIY sewing table I've found yet.
http://frommartawithlove.com/diy-ike...able-tutorial/