Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tote bag with bottom >

Tote bag with bottom

Tote bag with bottom

Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Love the links.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM

I can't wait to see what you did on the totes. I thought about the dog food bags myself. I guess you just cut off the top part you don't need and use the bottom. Right?

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm doing that too! I'm using old feed bags for my liners. You know, those woven plastic bags that dog food and chicken feed come in these days. I'm adding appliqued quilt fabrics to the outside and sewing nylon handles.

I just took apart an old TRADER JOE'S bag to use for a template. You could also just cut a regular, brown paper grocery bag for a pattern. It consists of 2 rectangular sides and one, long rectangular piece that wraps from front, to bottom, to back. The seams are stitched on the outside and covered with a contrasting binding. I'm still waiting for my nylon strapping to show up in the mail to complete them. I'll send over some pix when I'm done.

~ Cindy
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM

I have made some using old feeds sack. I cut the top off to the size of bag I like and use the top for a handle. I use some wild bird seed bags they are so cute. but make sure you cover up the UPC code on the bag I have buy lot of bags of bird seed that was not bird seed at all. I put a small peice of bas tape at the top for the checker to hung it by they seam like that and it help keep the bag up as they fill it.
I have got old placemate to use as a bottom for some of my bags. they are stuff and can be cut to size. and come on all colors. found my it the good-well for next to nothiing.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Old cutting mats make good, heavy bottoms. Cut to size and make a sleeve .
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM

All kinds of patterns available. I have found the best thing for the bottom inset is corrugated plastic. It is the type of stuff that real estate signs are made from, or garage sale signs- looks like cardboard only white plastic coated. You can get it in the hardware section of Wal Mart in a blank sheet for a few dollars. It is large enough for 2 bottoms depending on the size of your bag.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM

There is a good strong in the tutorial section uses a piece of thin wood as base.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp View Post
I can't wait to see what you did on the totes. I thought about the dog food bags myself. I guess you just cut off the top part you don't need and use the bottom. Right?
Yeah...I just cut off the part that has stitch marks and open up the bag to lie flat, like a piece of fabric. I suppose that you could just use the feed sack with the stitching still in the bottom, but you wouldn't have a flat bottom sack. still, it could be cute, even without any quilt fabric. I saw one that was made from a chicken sack and had a handsome rooster on the front and center of the bag.
~ Cindy
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by laurafet View Post
All kinds of patterns available. I have found the best thing for the bottom inset is corrugated plastic. It is the type of stuff that real estate signs are made from, or garage sale signs- looks like cardboard only white plastic coated. You can get it in the hardware section of Wal Mart in a blank sheet for a few dollars. It is large enough for 2 bottoms depending on the size of your bag.
This is what I use also. I went to my local sign shop and and bought an armload of scraps for $10. I cut them with an old rotary cutter.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Old panographic (sp?) Dental xrays work well for bottoms of bags....of course, I'd slip cover it!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM

I've made both these bags (I didn't do any printing on the first one like they did), both have square bottoms, the lst one is pretty big.

http://www.pieandcoffee.org/2005/11/12/canvas-bag/

http://sewing.about.com/od/bagstotes...grocerybag.htm