Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash to Treasure Pineapple Quilt >

Trash to Treasure Pineapple Quilt

Trash to Treasure Pineapple Quilt

Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Yes, I have used the ruler, my blocks are coming up short but they are all the same I think so am going for it...made 10 so far
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 PM

I just went to a workshop today where we used Gyleen's ruler. bought it after she did a workshop for our guild several months ago, but had not used it till today. After watching a demonstration of the ruler, I found it to be so much easier than using a regular ruler. I do find though that using a scant quarter inch seam is helpful in getting the blocks to be even on the sides when trimmed up. I loved the ruler and the various blocks produced by the members were all very different & gorgeous. It is amazing how one pattern can look so very different depending on choice of color.

Originally Posted by Harmony
At the Long Beach International Quilt Show there was an entire exhibit of quilts made using this special pineapple ruler. There's also a book by Gyleen X. Fitzgerald; it's called Trash to Treasure. I watched a quick demo on the ruler and decided to buy it, although I didn't get the book. Took me quite awhile to figure out how the ruler worked, and I have to say it's sheer genius. My problem is that I can never get the blocks to come out to the right size!

Has anyone here used this ruler? Other than the obvious things (make sure your seam allowance is perfect, press carefully, blah-de-blah-de-blah) is there some other trick to this? I always seem to come up about a half inch short! I'm ready to just give up and paper piece the darned thing, but that would be SOOO much more time consuming!

http://www.colourfulstitches.com/trashtotreasure.html
Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM

If thing are coming out "way too short" my guess is your tool is aligned to a seam line instead of cutting line. From the front of the block...each bar should be 1" finished. If is not, that is where you are going wrong. From the back of the block, center the tool on the center square, if all the vertical and horizonal lines are or "almost" are on all your cutting lines, you are perfect. If not, that is where you have gone wrong. Email me directly if you're still having problems. [email protected].
Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 AM

Fons and Porter show how to do traditional pineapple blocks with a quick and easy method... goes together fast...

I watched recently on one of their DVDs.

Nonnie,
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 AM

You might try using slightly wider strips.