Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash To Treasure >

Trash To Treasure

Trash To Treasure

Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I'm really interested in hearing if any of you are like me, I love to repurpose and reuse garage sale or flea market items in my sewing room. Would love to hear your ideas!

i needed to raise a thrift store table to make a cutting table. Instead of running out to the store to get bed elevator things or whatever they are - I went out in the garage and got 4 paint cans. Lol worked great!!!
We had some leftover PVC pipe and we cut that in 4 equal lengths and put table legs in them to raise my cutting table. Works great and one more thing gone from garage storage!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 AM

I have a primitive gift shop and I sell things I buy at yard sales, flea markets, and auctions that I bring home and restore. I have also been known to visit the streets when the town has pick up day!!!! You can find me on Facebook at canal Country Cupboard. This is what I love to do!!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 AM

My sewing room is my guest bedroom, so I have a roll-away bed in there. I used to pull the bed out and make it up when needed, and then put it away again. Now I just put one end up and leave the other end flat. I don't have to move anything when needed. The flat part is used for projects completed and in waiting, the the part standing on end is used to hold "next" projects, and parts from current projects. When I'm sewing on a binding, the long strip is hanging over the bed, as it is behind me. As I cut fabric for current projects, I put the fabric left-overs there, as I don't want to put it "away" away until I know for sure I won't need it again for that quilt.
When I need the bed, everything on it gets piled on my sewing table for a day or two. Then it's back on the bed until the next time.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Everyone in my family knows to ask me if they can throw something in the trash. "It ain't garbage, until Mama says it's garbage!"

A couple of weeks ago I sent my 3 sons an email. I started off 'At the risk of sounding like a hoarder..' I asked them to save me their old t-shirts, jeans, socks etc. I have been making rugs and can use all of those things. They all sent back a note (with laughter) saying that they would.... But they all got a rag quilt for Christmas that had a lot of their jeans from when they were growing up, so I THINK they know I will use the stuff... pretty sure.... Anyway, I love reusing and re-purposing everything, so thanks for all the great ideas everyone!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Necessity is the mother of invention.. LOL We find what we can find first then we go shopping for something if we can't make it .. We have always been that way after I went through a box of stuff and found duplicates, triplicates of something the DH had .. hmmm no more .. LOL
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 AM

my husband took an old door, gave it sides put legs on it recessed an area for my machine and made me a beautiful sewing table. I really love it... it is big enough for my cutting mat and large enough when I need to put my quilt on it to quilt with my machine.. Best thing he ever did for me.... well almost...
Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 AM

I have two wooden tables with leaves that my work was going to throw away...got them for free if I hauled them away "today"! Called dad with a truck and put one up on the bed risers (already had them) for the cutting table. Have a lawyers cabinet with the glass doors for free from a friend for fabric. Another bookcase ($15) at a yardsale for books. A 4 drawer file cabinet (the long kind)-another freebie from work when renovating. It pays to keep your eyes open! Someday they will all match, but function outweighs beauty at the moment.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Until 4 years ago I never stepped foot in a thrift store, then my son was showing me some chests he found at a local thrift shop, so I began checking it out. At that time they were selling silver plate and crystal for really cheap like one or 2 dollars a piece. I have repurposed several crystal cut work glasses for pens and pencil, small rulers, and scissors, My husband found a storage tray used for storing photo negatives(35mm slides) it is perfect for threads. On occasion I have found lovely sewing baskets and all kinds of cute shelves and containers. Even though cheap if I cannot see an immediate use for it it doesn't come home. The really big find was an entire wood wall unit entertainment center for $167.00 which holds all my fabrics, extra machines, tools, books and some vintage pieces I want to display. These days because of the economy there are too many people depending on it for extra income so the really neat stuff just isn't there anymore, they are waiting at the doors at 9 am and you would think they were giving the stuff away. I still love to go, but don't find so much anymore.
Pat
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM

I have a narrow sofa table from a yard sale ($5.00) thats holds my FW.
A metal typing table from Salvation Army ($3.00) that holds one of my less used Singer machines (its is for sale).
A treadle base (no treadle) from an auction ($2.50) with a Free top from a cabinet shop for my 301A.

I have a real hodge podge of useable/repurposed items.

Last edited by jbj137; 03-17-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 AM

I use a large silverware tray in the drawer of my Horn cabinet to hold various sewing implements, keeps my drawer organized much better.