Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
traveling foot pedal >

traveling foot pedal

traveling foot pedal

Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Many in our quilt guild just got the Pedal Mat from Connecting Threads. Slightly tacky on each side, and does a great job holding the pedal in place.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:24 AM

I wrapped the cord of my petal around the front leg of my sewing table so it was the right length.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by sumarben View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked this up at Target today (on sale) and so far so good.
https://www.target.com/p/mohawk-1-6-...t/-/A-23983958
Believe me, I will let you know if my pedal starts traveling again!
Trust me, it won't, especially if your welcome mat completely fills the space and can't move around.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have your solution, because I was plagued with this problem, too. First, measure the space all around your footpedal. For me, it was boxed in by the two sides of the desk and the wall (baseboard) at the back. Go to the Dollar Store and buy a cheap floormat/welcome mat that will completely fill that space. They're around a quarter inch to a half inch thick, and kind of rubbery, something you can easily cut. Once you get it home, trim it if it's too big to fit in there, then place your foot pedal in the most comfortable place for your foot to work it when you are seated correctly to sew. Now trace around the foot pedal onto the mat in that spot, cut that section out (I used my rotary cutter, gasp!), making a hole in the mat exactly the size and shape of your foot pedal. Now plop that pedal down into the hole you made for it and sew to your heart's content, never having to chase it around again!
Love this idea. Very clever!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have your solution, because I was plagued with this problem, too. First, measure the space all around your footpedal. For me, it was boxed in by the two sides of the desk and the wall (baseboard) at the back. Go to the Dollar Store and buy a cheap floormat/welcome mat that will completely fill that space. They're around a quarter inch to a half inch thick, and kind of rubbery, something you can easily cut. Once you get it home, trim it if it's too big to fit in there, then place your foot pedal in the most comfortable place for your foot to work it when you are seated correctly to sew. Now trace around the foot pedal onto the mat in that spot, cut that section out (I used my rotary cutter, gasp!), making a hole in the mat exactly the size and shape of your foot pedal. Now plop that pedal down into the hole you made for it and sew to your heart's content, never having to chase it around again!
I'm not having a problem now but will save this in case I do. Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 PM

So many good solutions here. Here's mine.

I have a slippery hardwood floor. I found a piece of 1 X 3 about four feet long. I put that under the machine with my food pedal attached to it with large rubber band. The far end of the wood bumps into the sofa bottom, so can't go anywhere. My two feet keep the front end where it belongs and I never have to go looking for it.

Maybe instead of a sofa stop, there may be a wall there which would stop it. Two or three feet long might be enough for your situation.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:55 PM

I have always sewn barefoot and have never had a problem with a moving foot control; however, I can understand how that would be annoying.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

I was having knee trouble from sewing so much (arthritis), so I ordered the kneezeaze from Nancy's Notions on line. I am not sure of the spelling of the plastic box like holder that lifts the petal at an angle slightly so my knees are great for much longer periods of sewing. I placed a non skid rug mat under it. You know those rubber mats you cut to size for a room rug? I have had no traveling problem, and I love the Neezease.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:27 PM

Just spotted this one to make. https://so-sew-easy.com/non-slip-sew...oot-pedal-pad/
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Well, I tried one brick, then two bricks. Now I have taped two bricks to the floor and it’s better.