Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Treasure!  Grandma's dresses & patterns >

Treasure! Grandma's dresses & patterns

Treasure! Grandma's dresses & patterns

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

What an amazing windfall to have your grandmother's dresses, and that you want to make quilts for your aunts and uncles out of that fabric. I'm sure whatever you quilt/quilts you decide to make, I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated as your grandmother lives on through your quilts. The journal is an absolutely fantastic find, and I'm thinking I need to do more with mine, as I have photos of most of my quilts, but not all.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Is this nutty or what ? I have tears in my eyes reading your post. I can just feel your joy, your pride, your sense of being entrusted with such a meaningful gift. It is going to have such ripple effects on the generations. Do keep us posted!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

WOW Aren't you the blessed one.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Wonderful legacy! And no pressure whatsoever in producing these quilts. Kudos to you for embarking on this journey. I would be so petrified of ruining them, but thats just me. I wish you the best in this endeavor- and i think you should make one for yourself.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Please consider putting a small piece of the dress fabric next to each photo. Do you know someone about the same size that could actually model the dresses for the photos? I love your album idea!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 PM

With that wealth of fabric you should be able to make some beautiful quilts. Don't be too critical of your quilting, it seems we are our own worst judges, your aunts and uncles will know the quilts have been made with love.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM

I will definitely post pics as I go! I'm in the break-down stage...taking apart these dresses is a lot more work than I thought it would be! I've cut up about 12 so far and I need to take a day or two off, my right hand is getting bruised up from the scissors!

We actually do have a LOT of photos of Grandma in these dresses - they were her daily-wear outfits. In MANY of the photos we have of her, she is posing with her quilts! My aunt has that photo album and has promised to scan it for the family but she has about 25 family photo albums she's trying to scan so it'll probably be a long time before she gets to that one.

I love seeing how she built her dresses...each one is just a little different from the last. Her sewing machine was an industrial straight-stitch Singer from the 20's and I get such kicks from seeing her "free motion" zig zag stitches!

Some of the dresses are pretty worn, I almost tossed part of one of them because it's so thin it's almost falling apart but then I decided I'd fuse interfacing to that fabric to reinforce it instead and keep it. I figure the wear and tear is a big part of the charm!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM

my heart is pounding for you. wish I had some of my

grannies' things she was a good quilt maker and super dressmaker I think of her every day she left us in 1966 thanks for bringing memories back
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM

Oh man you hit the mother load. Or should I say the grandma load. I'm so so excited for you! Please keep us posted. Wish I lived closer so I could help you in someway. This is my favourite type of quilting,,,,,repurposing.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

That is so super cool!