Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tried it a different way! >

Tried it a different way!

Tried it a different way!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Going to try it. worth a shot!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM

There were no pics in her book on the technique, just a paragraph on how to do it.........that is why I think I would like to take the crafty class to "actually see her do it" too. All I did when I tried it was to put right sides together as always, take two stitches in the corner to anchor that edge, then opened up the two hexies onto the palm of my left hand( am right handed) and then proceeded to continue taking the tiny stitches up that side of the hexie...the difference being, in my mind, is that instead of having those two hexies facing each other, sewing, then opening those two out, thus revealing that seam you have just made, there is a bit more space and like a hinge...it can more likely show that joining thread, whereas this way it snuggles right upside itself......really reads more complicated than it actually is in doing.......

Monday, I am going to sign up for the crafty class and then I will see for sure if my interpretation of her directions in the book are correct too.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 AM

I learned the ladder stitch for doing hems back in the early 70's and have never used the whip stitch since. Always use it when sewing on bindings.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Kind of hard to envision without illustrations. Maybe I'll see if my library has Mickey's book.

I've always liked the ladder stitch for hand-sewing. Unlike whip stitching, you can't see the stitches when you're done.

I also use the ladder stitch with my EPP because the stitches can't be seen from either side.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I have heard something similar to do with applique. The demo I saw had a needle come up and nip just a bit of fabric close to the edge of the applique but only catching fabric on the back side. I think this is similar that stitching from the back close to the edge so the stitches are only found on the back. I am not sure this would work easily when taking your hexagon piece sections and sewing them together like Lynnie is doing. I have heard some quilters are using silk thread but I am not sure that is strong enough to hold the hexes together.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 AM

What is the Ladder stitch?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have been preparing hexies for GFG...about a dozen flowers glued to paper patterns...so decided to sew one together..... The other day I rec'd the Mickey Depre's book on her version of hexies and while reading I read how she joins hers together....not face to face as I do, but she does face to face at corner, does a few stitches there, then opens onto the palm of her hand, back side up and does the stitches, just nipping the edges of each hexie. .......so, I thought, let me try this because it seemed on my last GFG no matter how tiny those stitches were when I opened it up I could see thread.....so I did...a bit clumsy at first, but then got the hang go it and believe it or not when I turned to right side...not a thread to be seen! Just thought I would share Mickey Depre's little tip with you. Or maybe you already know this and I am the Johnny come lately!
I love Mickey Depres method and her pieced Hexies. Her method seems faster to me too.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 AM

I use ladder stitch often for joining and for hand applique. It's a versatile stitch!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by giquilt View Post
What is the Ladder stitch?
Here's one of many tuts on the web for how to sew ladder stitch. There are YouTube tutorials also.
http://www.sew-it-love-it.com/ladder-stitch.html
Old 07-13-2014, 04:40 AM

Thanks Geri B, for the description of sewing with the hexies "open". That makes sense. I know sometimes when I removed the paper the fabric bend would cover the stitches but it was not a guarantee. I'm one of many working on the GFG also. I'll give this a try. Though the stitches don't bother me (much). I can see how a ladder stitch with them open would be completely invisible. Thanks again, I'll be trying it today.