Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tried Long Arm Quilting Today! >

Tried Long Arm Quilting Today!

Tried Long Arm Quilting Today!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Watson--knew you were planning to do this, so glad you enjoyed it! I watched a video with Kim Brummer recently and she says when you are FMQ you need to be working in that 15-18" right in front of you--so with a machine adjusted in height to you (which probably isn't on a rental machine) you are able to keep those elbow at a 90 degree angle and tucked to your side--that helps you keep better control on the machine. I sometimes have to remind myself of this while on the LA!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:31 AM

My elbows were most definitely not tucked into my sides. I was thinking that would have helped. Good information, Quiltingshorttimer. I'll have to look up that lady's work.

Watson
Old 08-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

How are are back and shoulders today? Fun but hard on the body I bet.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 AM

My friend had a long arm and she let me use it and I would help her also. We sort of learned together, but she has passed so don't get to long arm any more. I now just quilt on my sewing machine and believe me, it's a whole lot easier to quilt on the long arm. Love just how you had to move the machine. I think the hardest was to load it so you got this down.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM

How cool! I love playing on longarms - I just bought a sit-down LA but the stand-up ones are definitely a different animal and a lot of fun to play with. Unfortunately there is no local shop that will rent time out on a LA anymore, but when I go to an expo, I always have to stop and play a little. It's so much fun!

You'll have to show us some pictures of your progress!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I really love using the long arm machine. I'm not very good at FMQ. I'm getting better at mastering ruler work than I am at FMQ. I need to find a way I can practice that without having to load something that I'm only going to do that on (if that makes sense?)
I've been thinking I'd make a quilt of squares framed with sashing and then try to FMQ something different in each square, that way I wouldn't get bored too fast with trying (and failing) to master something over a large area.
Thoughts?
You can make a "practice" piece of two pieces of muslin(or really cheap fabric) about 2 yards long and batting. You practice whatever fmq you want for whatever length you want. When you have filled the full 2 yards you can make dog pads/beds from the piece. I'm not good with fmq either so I do pantographs and ruler work, which I like).
Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
You can make a "practice" piece of two pieces of muslin(or really cheap fabric) about 2 yards long and batting. You practice whatever fmq you want for whatever length you want. When you have filled the full 2 yards you can make dog pads/beds from the piece. I'm not good with fmq either so I do pantographs and ruler work, which I like).
I've done this sort of thing already, and I find I get bored, or can't figure out what to put where, etc. And it limits putting anything else on to quilt when not practising. I am trying to figure out a way to put something on the part of the rails that isn't in use to practise some FMQ when a more "serious" quilt is in progress.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 AM

Watson, thank you for sharing your experience...I remember you sharing that you had made an appointment. Sounds like you felt more comfortable than you had previously expected. I also rent a LA for big quilts and FMQ smaller projects on my DSM and you definitely have to switch gears in your brain as they are completely different but I'm sure you'll adapt quickly.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 AM

FMQ on a LA is almost like doodling, and it is a matter of time before you find your favorite quilting designs. I practiced on large sandwiches which eventually became totes, hot pads, and so on. The dog bed mentioned in one of the posts above is a great idea. I did one large sandwich with pretty fabrics on both sides, and one side was one color so that I could see my practice designs all mixed together. I made a quilt carrier out of it and I am always surprised when I open it and see those designs. They came out pretty good.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:41 AM

I have a long arm, and getting more comfortable, already my feathers are looking decent, as are other designs. The best advice I received from one of our Local quilt shop owners, was to start with McTavishing, once you get the gist of doing that, the rest will come easier....no more wondering where to go next, doesn't show what you think are mistakes. You learn to go in all directions without thinking about it.....check our Leah Day's webpage on Learning to do McTavishing.