Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
trying to make the best of a BOM gone wrong >

trying to make the best of a BOM gone wrong

trying to make the best of a BOM gone wrong

Old 04-03-2024, 11:56 AM

Thank you, I will give that a try. I do believe before I rip it out, I am going to construct a couple of practice blocks and give those a go. If I can get the hang of that y-seam...
The oversized blocks will be a problem for another day.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I took a class on mastering y seams. We were told to leave up to 1/2" or more.of the seam not sewn. Makes it much easier to put together to resew the seam. The leaving the 1/4" was made up by the quilt police.
Oooh that's a good tip! I will give it a try! Thank you!
Old 04-04-2024, 05:27 AM

Onebyone, your quilt is beautiful. I have found thru the years that mistakes are made in instructions for quilts. It is very frustrating but don't give up on the quilt and make it work. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:40 AM

Oh, that would be nice if it ends up being a typo! But for now, I am going to walk away for a day or two and clear my head after watching just about every video I could find on y-seams. I am just going to think about them a bit before trying again. Once I get that, I must figure out the mystery of the block that is supposed to measure 17.7 but comes out much larger for me. Am hoping once everything else is finished, I can work out that problem. I have never had a pattern I have attempted that I wasn't able to finish. If I don't figure this one out,, I won't rest until I do! I hate a puzzle I can't solve!
Old 04-04-2024, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

My quilt looks like the pattern picture I posted if you are about 20 ft away. LOL Up close it is a mess. It will never be in a show but it will be used every Christmas to hang on my porch. I love having a quilt hung on my front porch.