Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to save this quilt...but how old is it? >

Trying to save this quilt...but how old is it?

Trying to save this quilt...but how old is it?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Default very old quilts...

I read your reply about the old quilts and am wondering about the fine netting. I have 2 quilts made, about 1940-1950's. They both have places to repair, and of course, I don't have the fabric or even close to it.
Please explain about the fine netting, and how to use it.
Thanks,
Mariah.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM

Thanks y'all for the tips regarding the fabric for applique. i do have some rit dye handy, and I can also leave a few scraps in a sunny window and see if i can get some results there. gosh i really do want to wash it but its quite cold here right now. i live in central Texas--we have been in drought conditions but its been rainy the past few days. once it dries out and we get some more consistent sunny days i can attempt a wash and dry--does it have to be very warm out? i anticipate we'll get some 50- 60 degree days or something like that coming up, sunny all day. i could probably do the washing part the day before and let it drain in a tub overnight and start in the morning to dry it out. what do yall think?

p.s. the repairs ive done so far are very minimal. i took off some of the extra binding to use as patching fabric for some small holes and i've sewn closed a few small areas that were coming undone. i have another true cutter quilt coming from ebay soon, and i may be able to use the backing (its a faded floral print) for some repairs so i'm waiting for that anyways. too bad i didn't get this project during the heat of our summer this year, bone dry, stuck indoors, full sun for weeks...would have made this so much easier!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM

This was so interesting to read. I have my grandma's quilt that she made at age 10. The date is 1904. It will need a lot of repairs but I am up to it. I just didn't know how to go about it. But the suggestion of appliqueing the pieces on would work. Some of the squares are 1" squares. I can imagine my grandma learning to sew by making this quilt as a little girl. My quilt teacher said that it looks like someone added on to it at a later date because the material does not match. So it is interesting. I haven't had the courage to really start on it yet.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM

I have read somewhere that some restorers of quilts will recommend using tulle basted over torn areas to keep it intact rather than trying to patch...forgot why-- guessing maybe because that fabric is so fragile it will just split when you attempt to put a needle/thread thru it.......I have an antique quilt found reasonably at a local antique store....bed size, but parts of it are very thin/worn away so cotton is showing. I do not use it...it hangs gracefully on a quilt hanger (good side showing) for all to see.....in a area that does not get direct sunlight.......
Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM

An update:
I washed the quilt and had it out on the lawn to dry with no problems. While it seems slightly cleaner (less dirty feeling) the color has not appreciably changed. I think now that its clean I can proceed with matching any fabrics for the appliques. Also I got a cutter quilt which has some fabrics which might work for appliques. So made some progress!