Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tshirt quilt layout >

tshirt quilt layout

tshirt quilt layout

Old 08-25-2015, 06:14 AM

Default tshirt quilt layout

Hello.. I have googled the internet and found hundreds of different pictures and layouts for tshirt quilts. Most of them are pretty self explanatory... tshirt blocks are all the same size and they may or may not have sashing.

I am wondering about the handful that I have seen that have all different tshirt block sizes. Big ones and little ones all thrown together in a seemingly haphhazard way. But I bet there is a method to the madness

I am thinking I would like to try to make one of those.. BUT how do you be sure the blocks will all fit together into a nice size for a quilt?

Are there patterns for these type of layouts? Or is this something that I will just have to figure out on my own? I did try to google for a pattern, but could not find one

Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:43 AM

My friend takes her largest square of shirt. She rough cuts out the part she wants puts stabilizer on the back and then squares it up to fit what she wants to save. Then she sashes it with a size she likes. That is her master block and she works by using different sashing or putting to pieces of t shirt together till they equal the size of her master block and works out from there. So sometimes she will have three smaller t shirt blocks together to equal the master. Once she had a ton of sleeves to work with and she had six pieced together with little sashing's between them till the came up to the size she needed.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I did a layout drawing to make sure what went where. Sometimes you can insert extra fabrics when needed.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 PM

I would try to make blocks with sizes like 3" 6" 9" 12" so that a multiple of miscellaneous blocks can fit into the blank spots. (clear as mud?)

The layout in this mystery quilt gives a better idea of what I'm trying to say I think. http://sewnbyleila.blogspot.ca/2014/...onth-2015.html

This person gives quite a detailed account of how she accomplished hers. http://craftyladylindsay.blogspot.ca...irt-quilt.html

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 08-25-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 PM

When i make mine I cut out all the design elements / logos / etc first. I then use one of my fold up cardboard mats with the 1" blue grid on it. I lay out my Tshirt pieces, rearranging until i like the layout.....I may have to nudge a piece here or there so that i get the necessary start and stop points for squares. But...I automatically have the size of the additional sashing pieces needed because i can look at the 1" grid between the elements. I use the solid colored backs of the Tshirts (with interfacing on) and cut those to use as the strips/sashing between elements. It really is simple this way. Here's a small wall hanging i did for my nephew, before borders added...[ATTACH=CONFIG]528801[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails taylors-tshirt.jpg  

Last edited by PenniF; 08-25-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughts! The links are very helpful. I love your wall hanging PenniF. As I've been trimming I have been saving the scraps in case I could use them. Now I just have to look at my shirts and start planning
Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 AM

I've posted this before, but here is the quilt I made for a friend. I used just the pieces of the t shirts that I liked, and then basically just turned them into blocks - all different. Then I put them up on my design board, and determined the sashing I would need to make rows and just put them together. I was very happy with the way this turned out.[ATTACH=CONFIG]528868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jennsquilt_resized_1.jpg  
Old 08-26-2015, 05:50 AM

Meyert,
I am also making t-shirt quilts with different sized blocks. Check out utube, Sew Very Easy. There is a video called Modern Collage Art Quilt. Maybe this is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Susan Sanders; 08-26-2015 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Name wrong
Old 08-26-2015, 01:46 PM

maminst - great quilt Thanks for sharing

Susan thanks for the tip - I will be checking out youtube
Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM

I was commissioned to made one as a gift to a retiring Doctor that traveled internationally using shirts and ties. There is some math that goes into it and using more fabric to making it fit.
The countries that she traveled to are embroidered on the border before quilting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528922[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-doc.jpg  

Last edited by mamagrande; 08-26-2015 at 02:10 PM. Reason: explaining the writing on the border