Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tutorial for first time triangles >

Tutorial for first time triangles

Tutorial for first time triangles

Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Tutorial for first time triangles

Hello, I'm not a very good quilter. In the past I've done squares and stayed away from triangles. I'm rehabbing an inherited vintage machine, and I would like to make the kids and grandkids each a quilt on their great grandmother's machine.

I see that this month's square has half square triangles. I would like to be able to be able to use triangles if needed for these upcoming quilts. Which method is easiest for a triangle phobia beginner? Can you suggest good links, videos or tutorials? I like rotary cutting, string and crumble quilts, chain piecing, and assembly line type construction if that matters. I just want to be able to get sharp points!

Thanks in advance,

Marcy
Old 06-26-2015, 02:33 PM

The best advice I can give is to oversize your squares. Draw a diagonal line from point to point. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line. After you cut these apart and press, then trim them to the size needed. Make sure you use a ruler with a 45 degree line that is lined up on your seam. It seems that no matter how carefully I cut and sew my blocks never come out perfect. That is why most quilters will over size and trim down. If your pattern said to cut squats at 3 7/8, cut them 4 inches. That little bit can make a huge difference and save you a lot of frustration
Old 06-26-2015, 04:38 PM

I use the disk...Triangulations (computer disk). It has hundreds of sizes of triangles, flying geese and other things (I don't have the disk in front of me).

What you do is find out what the finished square/triangle needs to be. You find the page on the disk, print out the pages you need, then sew directly onto the pages. Each and every page you make more than 1 hst square.

When you do it you take 2 pieces of rectangular fabric (face/face), lay the paper on top of this, sew on the lines they tell you to, then cut where it tells you to. You will end up with perfect triangles each and every time.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Morganfam7, I looked for a video of the method I use, and this one is the closest. It's a Fons and Porter video, so there is a plug for their products. I don't use the F&P ruler used in the video, instead I mark a line along the diagonal center and sew a quarter of an inch away from it on each side. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-nme6km8h8

Here's a tutorial from here that is similar, but produces many more blocks. The theory is the same, but multiplied. This shows the marking method I use.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

Tate
Old 06-27-2015, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
The best advice I can give is to oversize your squares. Draw a diagonal line from point to point. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line. After you cut these apart and press, then trim them to the size needed. Make sure you use a ruler with a 45 degree line that is lined up on your seam. It seems that no matter how carefully I cut and sew my blocks never come out perfect. That is why most quilters will over size and trim down. If your pattern said to cut squats at 3 7/8, cut them 4 inches. That little bit can make a huge difference and save you a lot of frustration
This explains it far more easily than I would have! This is exactly the process I use as well. Works like a charm all the time.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:53 AM

You can also cut 2 squares..layer right sides together and sew 1/4" around all four sides. Then slice diagonally across the middle and then slice again diagonally to remaining 2 corners. This gives you 4 completed HST's. Very fast and accurate. I did this for the first time on my most recent project and will probably do that each time. If you need your HST's to finish at a certain size, I am not sure how to determine the size of the squares but that information is probably available (somewhere!)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I agree. This is the way I make my HST. Just make sure you 45 degree line is accurate, that you stitch straight on the line. I usually after cut them apart (you will get two HST from the two squares) starch and press them open. Next is to trim and they should be perfect HST. So many quilts you can make with these triangles. Popular pattern is the Chevron.
Attached Thumbnails chevron-hst.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Wow! Thanks y'all! I actually think I can do this now. I'm going to try them all!

Cjsews, thanks for being so clear. I really like the oversizing strategy because I never get anything right the first time. I like the simplicity, too!

Ginger, the disk sounds interesting. I looked it up, and I found a disk at a great price. I'll give it a try. I found a video showing how to use it, too. Thanks!

Tate_elliot, I think I have books by Fons and Porter. Now I might be able to make some of those quilts! The video was very clear. That tutorial link was awesome! Thanks so much!

Thanks NJQuilter! I hope to join the ranks of triangle users soon!

mea12, thank you! The link that Tate sent has the math to get the triangle size needed:

"Math: I started with 5” squares and my HSTs were each slightly over 2” (They will ultimately finish at 1.5” in the quilt). You will lose about 1” with this method. So if you want HSTs to ultimately be 4” finished in the quilt, they would be 4.5” unfinished. You would want to start with 4.5” x 2 + 1” = 10” square. If you want 6.5” finished, 7” unfinished, you would start with 7” x 2 + 1” = 15” square." http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

ManiacQuilter, how do you starch? Spray? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2015, 04:29 AM

...and if you want to make many at a time...I like triangle on a roll or thangles....come in common sizes of HSTs
Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
I use the disk...Triangulations (computer disk). It has hundreds of sizes of triangles, flying geese and other things (I don't have the disk in front of me).

What you do is find out what the finished square/triangle needs to be. You find the page on the disk, print out the pages you need, then sew directly onto the pages. Each and every page you make more than 1 hst square.

When you do it you take 2 pieces of rectangular fabric (face/face), lay the paper on top of this, sew on the lines they tell you to, then cut where it tells you to. You will end up with perfect triangles each and every time.
This is my go-to solution too for any HST's that are made. Triangulations has saved my sanity many a time.