Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tutto Owners - how do you get it from rolling around in the back of the SUV >

Tutto Owners - how do you get it from rolling around in the back of the SUV

Tutto Owners - how do you get it from rolling around in the back of the SUV

Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 AM

I don't have the tutto but do have a suitcase with wheels for my EPIC machine. I didn't find it moving around in the back of my SUV but I added old throw rugs over my rubber mat I purchased extra for my SUV. That might help your suitcase from moving if you add rugs under it. The Thrift Shops might have just what you need at a minimin cost to use.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:09 AM

there are wall hooks in the back of my Jeep, I use two bungie cords. Like duct tape, what did we do when we didn't have them?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 AM

I bought a bit of rug liner and use it in all our cars (also under my sewing machine foot pedal). It is a rubber grid and is sold at fabric stores with the upholstery fabrics. It runs about $14 and is 54" wide. You only need 1/2" and with a coupon - real cheap. I holds my rolling bags in place and my kids love it for their grocery bags and tool box (they have CRVs).
Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I have a GMC Arcadia Denali, it's a big SUV, with three car seats installed so even though it's big the only space I have is from the third row seat to the hatch door. My rolling tote fits perfectly there. You may keep the back row seat up and have a perfect spot. Some may think you can take the car seats out. No, not if they are tethered to the car seat. Takes a long time to get them tethered so the seats don't have any wiggle at all. Oldest is going in second grade so I can take one out and put in a booster. One grand at a time.......LOL
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
I transport my machine & rolling suitcase the same as Tartan. Why - because a co-worker died when his suitcase hit him in the back of his head.
This is so sad, and unfortunately a timely reminder that anything loose can become a lethal projectile. I read an article years ago about this very subject.... we keep way too many things loose in our vehicles for convenience and they can be very dangerous. The article mentioned a woman who narrowly missed having her carotid or jugular artery (can't remember which) almost severed by a credit card during a roll over... she had purchased gas and left it on the dash to put away later...
I try to put my machine in the back seat and seat-belt it in.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 PM

I have a Dodge Durango. I have the back seat in the up position (machine between seat and opening hatch) and I use Bungee Cord to keep it from rolling/tipping over! Works great.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 03-24-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Yep, bungee cords are what I use, too after having mine roll around in the back,of my CR-V. I have a basket in the back that holds many different lengths of bungee cords so that I always have them to use whenever ——— My suv has all kinds of places to hook them - very handy.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Gemrn - when I travel I make sure that nothing I carry in the back is higher than the back of the seats. At Christmas we did have to,pack higher, but the items were not heavy so if they did slide it wouldn’t be a problem. Thst story is really scary.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 AM

I don't have a Tuto but I put mine in a plastic bin they used to use for recyling. The bag fits perfectly and doesn turn over.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 AM

Thank you for all of your responses.

My garage is very narrow and loading in the backseat can be a challenge, so I think I'm going to try the bungee cord in the trunk solution next trip. The Outback has only two rows of seats so I am dealing with a cargo area that is about 40" square.

Thanks again!