Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire  for my sewing room .....???? >

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM

I'd choose the TV. I see no use for the Nook or Kindle. Maybe if one of them was a full-fledged computer, I might see the value in that. But I like the noise of the TV and being able to watch something while sewing.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 AM

I would go with the Kindle Fire. Small tvs and separate dvd players are soooooooooo inexpensive these days (you can buy a flat screen for under $100 and a dvd player for around $40). I just bought a 13in flat screen on ebay for $75 shipping included. I have it in my sewing room. My sewing machine manual is on VHS tape so I have a dvd/vhs player combo hooked up to the tv and that works just fine. The Kindle Fire can do lots more than just read books.

I use my MP3 and cd player to play books on tape while I am sewing. I am HOOKED on that.
I am listening to "The Sign" by Raymond Khoury right now, love it!

Last edited by qltgrose; 03-09-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM

I have a Kindle Fire HD - smaller one - and I copy my free motion designs on it, pics of my quilts or quilt ideas and documents with directions on making patterns. I leave it by my sewing machine when I'm there and sometimes go on Netflix and watch movies if I'm doing something I don't have to concentrate on too much. The audio is great and the sound is super!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM

I would choose the tv - I like to watch the quilting shows or the sewing dvd's I have. I use the kindle fire for reading - don't think it would be big enough to watch movies in the sewing room.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM

I have both the kindle fire and a flat screen 26" TV in my sewing room, (has built in DVD player) would not want to be with out either, so I'd get the kindle fire as the gift and then get a flat screen at Walmart in a size that fits your needs. just MHO
Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM

I already have a Kindle Fire, so I'd probably take the nice tv, but not put it in my sewing room--probably put it in my kitchen somewhere...

I don't have room in my sewing room and when I did try to have a tv there, I never watched it because when I did try to watch something I sewed much slower. I use an mp3 player and listen to audio books.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM

My kids got me a kindle fire for my bd in July. I like all the things it can do but I have had a lot of trouble with it - it freezes up at least once a week, sometimes it will not interface with my wifi. It is very annoying! One time I could not get it running for 2 days and I'm not sure why it started up again.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM

I opt for the TV in the sewing room, too. You need your hands for a Fire or Kindle, and you need those to sew.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Well, I have the Kindle Fire and love it. Of course, I already have a large TV in my sewing room, but I like the Kindle Fire because I can check my e-mail, or drop in on the Quilting Board, or go on Pinterest or anything else I can do on the computer as long as I have a Wifi connection. I also read a lot and the Kindle is wonderful for that. I don't have to go to the library anymore, I make all my selections on my computer, I never have overdue books, I get free books lots of time from BookBub, or BubBook (don't know what it is called) they have free books for Kindle almost every week.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM

I would take the TV.