Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire  for my sewing room .....???? >

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM

I would chose the tv. I enjoy having a tv in my sewing room.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I have the new nook and I really love it. I go to some of the free movie websites like tubeplus.me and watch tv shows and movies that I miss or forget to record. But, with that being said. I get more use out of the small TV/DVD combo I have in my sewing room. I can watch live TV or recorded stuff on my dish. The TV is so much bigger and not in the way as the nook can sometimes get. Plus, I have to use headphones with my nook to hear it better because the sound only goes so loud.
I have two Nooks the 3G one and the first color one. I love them both. Have had no issues with them and customer service is close by at a Barnes and Noble store so I dont' have to deal with the online stuff. Great customer service, lots of freebees, magazines are great in color and you can watch movies, digital mags, PDF's, etc. It does so much more than reading. That being said, if it's for my sewing room, I'd go with the TV. I have a very small 9in screen right now so about as big as my Nook but it's up on the shelf and I watch it all the time. You can watch TV and listen to music on it (which I can also do on my Nook) and its connected to the cable. I like having my nook with me to read, do magazines when I'm at a doc office or even playing lots of games. They have tons of apps avaialbe really cheap. The thing is, do you want it for on the go or in the sewing room; which is more important. If it's on the go, then the Nook, if not, the TV
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM

TV. You will use up a ton of data watching shows on the Nook, etc. imho
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM
QM
Power Poster

I, also, love my kindle fire. I use mine for books and games, so I can't speak to its use for movies. My first one's charger went bad. Amazon replaced it without question. I know someone who was disappointed with the long term cost of nook usage.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Hello,
I think if you have a choice I'd go with an IPAD over any of the others. B/C with an IPAD you have the best of 'all the worlds', so to speak. WIth the IPAd you can watch TV shows, on it, and still download and watch tutorials, and youtube videos for quilting as well as classes on quilting via CRAFTSY classes! You can also download books and read them from your IPAD. So to me, the IPAD would make the most sense for your craft room. I LOVE mine.

BTW: Congratulations on the 20yr anniversary at your job!
Let us know what you decide to pick!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 AM

I read your post and all the others....I have a Kindle and a TV with a separate VCR (used in our travel trailer)...your post got me thinking and I realized the TV and VCR (haven't been used in a year) would be perfect in my sewing room.....moved it in yesterday and now am entertained as I am sewing....for free....thank you for the post!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM

I have a Kindle Fire. I usually play movies on my laptop in my sewing room. When my laptop bit the dust, I thought maybe a Kindle fire would work but the screen is only 7 inches. Great for portability, not great for movies. Yes, I love my Kindle Fire but never use it to watch TV/Movies. And I've found that most craft books are not available in Ebook form. We ended up purchasing a new laptop so I can multitask on it.

I don't know about the Nook, but we have a wireless router and my Kindle just connects wirelessly to the internet, with no issues. But it doesn't have a separate keyboard, so I don't like to use it extensively for web browsing, definitely not for email /writing. I would vote for the TV.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Tvs are so much cheaper now...I would go with the nook if it's the new one or the fire. I watch tv and movies on my I pad and the aps tutes at your finger tip is nice!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM

If you have a library account at your local library you can use "library2go" and check out e-books for free! I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Kindle reader on it, and I do that. It gives you options and you download the epub version if you don't have Kindle.

Originally Posted by namom5 View Post
I also used an IPad.....LOVE IT. You can sit it beside the sewing machine and watch Missouri Star and all the videos Jenny makes and work along step by step.. It is almost like being in a workshop. It it also great for books (lots of free ones out there that you can down load.)

Last edited by CAS49OR; 03-10-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Get the Kindle Fire for the freebie and go buy a small flat screen tv at Walmart. They are on sale online all the time.
I agree with BellaBoo--get the Kindle from the catalog--you might not even want the TV afterwards.