Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twister quilt questions >

Twister quilt questions

Twister quilt questions

Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM

I have the Twister for the 10 in block & 5 in block. It looks to me that if you are careful when cutting you will have a small block left of each larger block. For instance for the 10 in Twister you will have a 5 in block left. You could then sew these together to make a matching border or smaller quilt. With the 5 inch Twister you seem to have a smaller piece left over. I've been looking at my reg 2 1/2 in ruler & was thinking I could make marks on that to make even smaller Twisters!
So yes you have waste but you can either put it in your stash or make more Twisters.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 AM

Thank you Bev, that is what I needed to know.

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
I have the Twister for the 10 in block & 5 in block. It looks to me that if you are careful when cutting you will have a small block left of each larger block. For instance for the 10 in Twister you will have a 5 in block left. You could then sew these together to make a matching border or smaller quilt. With the 5 inch Twister you seem to have a smaller piece left over. I've been looking at my reg 2 1/2 in ruler & was thinking I could make marks on that to make even smaller Twisters!
So yes you have waste but you can either put it in your stash or make more Twisters.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 AM

I've made both the X-Blocks and Twister. I don't think they are interchangeable. I started with homemade templates, but ended up buying the actual ruler. Just worked much easier, a good investment if you are going to make more than one (and I have!). They are really fun. I don't starch and haven't had any problem. Enjoy your project and best of luck!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM

I made the a quilt using the large twister and yes there is a large about of waste. I have cut my scraps into 4.5" pieces and this eliminates some of the waste. I have sewed the 4.5" pieces and plan to use a home made template to cut these scraps and make a border of them.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 AM

I agree with Lorraine. I made the a quilt using the large twister and there is a huge waste. I have also cut my scraps into 4.5" pieces and used them for other projects.

I like the border idea.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 AM

I made my own ruler too, from template plastic, & it works just fine, no need to buy one if you don't want to! Do a search on here, for the Twister & lots of stuff should come up. There is a tutorial showing how she marked a little ruler for hers too. .... Lots of fun to play with! I even saved the little squares & made a mini quilt with them. They were have the size of the original blocks, so I just cut all the measurements in half & it came out great!...