Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Twister quilt questions

Twister quilt questions

Hi - I love all the Twister quilts I've seen on the Picture forum. I do have a couple questions about it.
    1) Would the X block ruler work just as well as the Twister ruler?
    2) I have the book "Square Dance" by Martha Thompson, which is the same idea, only marking and using a homemade template instead of having a ruler, and I tried it once and thought it was a real pain to cut out all the blocks. Is it that much easier with the ruler?
    3) Do you have to use starch because of the bias edges?
    Thanks!
    Deb (dcquilter)

I have the Twister. It seems to me that the homemade one would work the same. So far I have only made 2 small pieces for practice 'cause I have so many other things going. I have bought some charm pacts & am planning to use that to make a bright quilt.
    Yes I starched the fire out of the 2 practice pieces!! Here's one of 'em. I also used glue basting w/ elmers washable glue.
    Name:  Twister.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  55.9 KB
    Last edited by dublb; 12-02-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I have made several items out of the "Square Dance" book.
    2) I used a double layer of template plastic to make the template -- it is still possible to "shave" the edges with the rotary cutter, so careful is good. It worked well -- I can't find the table runner right now but it is stunning.
    3) Yes, I starched to hold everything stable.

It took me longer than I anticipated to make the table runner since you have to piece everything, then cut it and piece it again.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Thanks for your comments - and nice block, Bev!

Thanks. I appreciate it.
    Bev

I made a a Twister quilt--the small one--and I used several charm packs. Enough to give me the number of squares called for. I didn't use starch or anything. It turned out fine. The only thing recommended is to cut each row and then sew them together so you don't get mixed up. They are fun and pretty to look at. Good luck with yours.
    Sue

My only complaint about the twister ruler is the big "feet" on it. So I took those off and put on the littler stick ons and now it is much easier to cut around. I just finished a Christmas tree and love it.

I have made the 'twister' from the Square Dance book and I made my own template. I usually draw around the template and then cut with my ruler and rotary cutter and sometimes scissors. Works both ways.

Jim
    I havent seen the X block...so Im not sure it would work but sounds useable...I have 4 sizes of twisters templates and have made all of them. I just made 4 twin size twisters with the 10 inch block template...from selecting the fabrics from my stash to finish it took me 6 hours each to finish and ready for binding..including the quilting onthe long arm
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

With the twister rulers is there a lot of waste leftover? I have only seen an example and don't quite know what they do with the ruler. It looks like you sew some fabric together and then use the twister to cut the fabric out and then sew back together am I right? Have been curious if there is this lg amount of waste.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I have the Twister for the 10 in block & 5 in block. It looks to me that if you are careful when cutting you will have a small block left of each larger block. For instance for the 10 in Twister you will have a 5 in block left. You could then sew these together to make a matching border or smaller quilt. With the 5 inch Twister you seem to have a smaller piece left over. I've been looking at my reg 2 1/2 in ruler & was thinking I could make marks on that to make even smaller Twisters!
    So yes you have waste but you can either put it in your stash or make more Twisters.
    Bev

Thank you Bev, that is what I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I have the Twister for the 10 in block & 5 in block. It looks to me that if you are careful when cutting you will have a small block left of each larger block. For instance for the 10 in Twister you will have a 5 in block left. You could then sew these together to make a matching border or smaller quilt. With the 5 inch Twister you seem to have a smaller piece left over. I've been looking at my reg 2 1/2 in ruler & was thinking I could make marks on that to make even smaller Twisters!
    So yes you have waste but you can either put it in your stash or make more Twisters.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I've made both the X-Blocks and Twister. I don't think they are interchangeable. I started with homemade templates, but ended up buying the actual ruler. Just worked much easier, a good investment if you are going to make more than one (and I have!). They are really fun. I don't starch and haven't had any problem. Enjoy your project and best of luck!

I made the a quilt using the large twister and yes there is a large about of waste. I have cut my scraps into 4.5" pieces and this eliminates some of the waste. I have sewed the 4.5" pieces and plan to use a home made template to cut these scraps and make a border of them.
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    I agree with Lorraine. I made the a quilt using the large twister and there is a huge waste. I have also cut my scraps into 4.5" pieces and used them for other projects.

I like the border idea.
    Sharon (The "Babyquiltlady")
    http://www.uniquebabyquiltboutique.com
    http://learnhowtomakequiltbinding.com

I made my own ruler too, from template plastic, & it works just fine, no need to buy one if you don't want to! Do a search on here, for the Twister & lots of stuff should come up. There is a tutorial showing how she marked a little ruler for hers too. .... Lots of fun to play with! I even saved the little squares & made a mini quilt with them. They were have the size of the original blocks, so I just cut all the measurements in half & it came out great!...
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"