Twister Squares

Twister Squares

Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I did exactly as you said, but the directions ended there.
They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.
Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by mommamac
are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.
Okay, you only need to make sure that the borders are still the borders.

Lay the blocks all out on a large table or the floor and put them back to the way they looked before you cut them. The cut blocks should be tilted at this point. Then just gently tilt them them to the right so they are matched squares. You will instantly see the "twister" now. Stitch the blocks back into rows then join the rows. After this is done, you add more border to it. I use the same border fabric. Then quilt and bind as usual.

I am making one right now and if you still are having trouble, I can take some pictures as I go and post them for you.
I would love to see your photos.
I'm putting on the borders tonight. I'll start taking pictures as I go. The one I am doing right now is a western quilt, with very vivid colors. It should show up well.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Nancy, Thank you so much! I haven't made one yet, but I really them.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Nancy, Thank you so much! I haven't made one yet, but I really them.
They are really fun. This wouldn't be my color/fabric choice, but my GD and GS picked it out for their Godmother who was married on New Year's Eve. She owns a horse ranch.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM

There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
np3
Power Poster

There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
Your border must be the same width as your squares. It will be cut up with the template but if you keep them in order, they stay as the border. Then you add more border. I'll be able to add some pictures tomorrow that might help.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 AM
np3
Power Poster

Okay, here are some pictures that show what I was explaining. You can see from the last picture the way the borders are slanted. This is why the pattern usually has additional border of the same print added. Since mine is a directional print, I will probably put a 1 inch brown border around instead.

The top before the Twister is used
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152499[/ATTACH]

The cuts using the twister- they tilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152505[/ATTACH]

Turning the first row for stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152506[/ATTACH]

Continuing to turn the cut blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152507[/ATTACH]

Now you can see the twister pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152512[/ATTACH]

The full top showing the attached borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152513[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152494.jpe   attachment-152500.jpe   attachment-152501.jpe   attachment-152502.jpe   attachment-152507.jpe  

attachment-152508.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 AM

That's very helpful. In the first two pictures ours are the same except I had a 3" border on mine. Even if I can't selvage these little blocks the way they are supposed to be, I'll put together some kind of a charity quilt and start over.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM

THANK YOU!!! I got it. I used 6 sqs. with border and went by your pictures. The borders are even where they are supposed to be! I'll try and send picture of the good and the bad, but sometimes I have trouble sending pictures so we'll see. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 AM
np3
Power Poster

THANK YOU!!! I got it. I used 6 sqs. with border and went by your pictures. The borders are even where they are supposed to be! I'll try and send picture of the good and the bad, but sometimes I have trouble sending pictures so we'll see. Thanks again.
If you used 6 inch blocks, a 3 inch border will be tight but will work. My blocks are 10 inch and I used the larger twister. Looking forward to your pictures!!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Nancy, Thanks so much that really makes sense now. Noone had showed what to do after they were cut and I am really visual. Thanks again!