Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Twister Squares

  1. #1
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    I have tried to find pictures, tutorals etc for quilts made with the Twister template. I have figured out how to cut out the little squares but now I need some pictures or suggestions about how to put them together. Thanks to anyone who can suggest.

  2. #2
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Are you using the template? You start with big squares stitched together and add the border. Then you use the template which cuts the original squares "tilted". Then you stitch them back together straight up. They are still squares.

  3. #3
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,646
    Blog Entries
    1

  4. #4
    Super Member Lakeview Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,345
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    I have tried to find pictures, tutorals etc for quilts made with the Twister template. I have figured out how to cut out the little squares but now I need some pictures or suggestions about how to put them together. Thanks to anyone who can suggest.
    Have you tried a search for twister here on the board? There should be several pictures of some quilts.

  5. #5
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    Yes, I used the template that I bought and then cut all my twister squares. That was the end of the directions. Now I kept them in piles according to the line I cut them out in but that's all.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    Yes, I tried a search on the Board because I know I have seen others pictures etc. However, I couldn't find them.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20

  10. #10
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.[/quote]

    My Dec. Avatar was a twister wreath - inspired by a post...
    . Search ‘Twister ” ~ find Nov. 6 post by Chilly Mac.
    After looking at her layout, figure out the placement of each cut square which isn’t too hard. PM me if you need more help.

  11. #11
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
    I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.

  12. #12
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    Right - sew 5" blocks together - what you want to make determines number of rows across & down.

    wreath was a 5x5 grid with a 3" border to begin with - then begin cutting as directions that came with template show (first cut will be into borders) Then arrange new squares into wreath shape.
    note whatever you have for outside & middle blocks will be inside/outside of wreath

    runner was a grid of 2x7 (I think) with a 3" border

    Have I confused you more?

  13. #13
    Super Member Lakeview Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,345
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Yes, I tried a search on the Board because I know I have seen others pictures etc. However, I couldn't find them.
    Click on search at the top of this page and type in twister. Several posts will come up.

  14. #14
    Super Member Lakeview Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,345
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
    I made one with the 36 squares. Search, twister in brights. Hope this helps.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    I have tried to find pictures, tutorals etc for quilts made with the Twister template. I have figured out how to cut out the little squares but now I need some pictures or suggestions about how to put them together. Thanks to anyone who can suggest.
    Though I have never made one the concept is to place the cut square in the same position that you cut it from. Across the top row you place the cut square from the top of your beginning sewn blocks. Or if you cut from top to bottom then you place the cut squares top to bottom.

    Does that help?

  16. #16
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    Right - sew 5" blocks together - what you want to make determines number of rows across & down.

    wreath was a 5x5 grid with a 3" border to begin with - then begin cutting as directions that came with template show (first cut will be into borders) Then arrange new squares into wreath shape.
    note whatever you have for outside & middle blocks will be inside/outside of wreath

    runner was a grid of 2x7 (I think) with a 3" border

    Have I confused you more?
    I'm confused by the original post. Looks like she cut the template first???

  17. #17
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    I did exactly as you said, but the directions ended there.
    They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
    I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    Thanks, that helps a bit.

  19. #19
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    I did exactly as you said, but the directions ended there.
    They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
    I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.
    Okay, you only need to make sure that the borders are still the borders.

    Lay the blocks all out on a large table or the floor and put them back to the way they looked before you cut them. The cut blocks should be tilted at this point. Then just gently tilt them them to the right so they are matched squares. You will instantly see the "twister" now. Stitch the blocks back into rows then join the rows. After this is done, you add more border to it. I use the same border fabric. Then quilt and bind as usual.

    I am making one right now and if you still are having trouble, I can take some pictures as I go and post them for you.

  20. #20
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    I did exactly as you said, but the directions ended there.
    They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
    I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.
    Okay, you only need to make sure that the borders are still the borders.

    Lay the blocks all out on a large table or the floor and put them back to the way they looked before you cut them. The cut blocks should be tilted at this point. Then just gently tilt them them to the right so they are matched squares. You will instantly see the "twister" now. Stitch the blocks back into rows then join the rows. After this is done, you add more border to it. I use the same border fabric. Then quilt and bind as usual.

    I am making one right now and if you still are having trouble, I can take some pictures as I go and post them for you.
    I would love to see your photos.

  21. #21
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    I did exactly as you said, but the directions ended there.
    They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
    the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.
    I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.
    I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.
    Okay, you only need to make sure that the borders are still the borders.

    Lay the blocks all out on a large table or the floor and put them back to the way they looked before you cut them. The cut blocks should be tilted at this point. Then just gently tilt them them to the right so they are matched squares. You will instantly see the "twister" now. Stitch the blocks back into rows then join the rows. After this is done, you add more border to it. I use the same border fabric. Then quilt and bind as usual.

    I am making one right now and if you still are having trouble, I can take some pictures as I go and post them for you.
    I would love to see your photos.
    I'm putting on the borders tonight. I'll start taking pictures as I go. The one I am doing right now is a western quilt, with very vivid colors. It should show up well.

  22. #22
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    Nancy, Thank you so much! I haven't made one yet, but I really them.

  23. #23
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Nancy, Thank you so much! I haven't made one yet, but I really them.
    They are really fun. This wouldn't be my color/fabric choice, but my GD and GS picked it out for their Godmother who was married on New Year's Eve. She owns a horse ranch.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!

  25. #25
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
    Your border must be the same width as your squares. It will be cut up with the template but if you keep them in order, they stay as the border. Then you add more border. I'll be able to add some pictures tomorrow that might help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.