Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 34 of 34

Thread: Twister Squares

  1. #26
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
    Okay, here are some pictures that show what I was explaining. You can see from the last picture the way the borders are slanted. This is why the pattern usually has additional border of the same print added. Since mine is a directional print, I will probably put a 1 inch brown border around instead.

    The top before the Twister is used
    Name:  Attachment-152494.jpe
Views: 157
Size:  128.0 KB

    The cuts using the twister- they tilt
    Name:  Attachment-152500.jpe
Views: 185
Size:  98.2 KB

    Turning the first row for stitching
    Name:  Attachment-152501.jpe
Views: 178
Size:  95.2 KB

    Continuing to turn the cut blocks
    Name:  Attachment-152502.jpe
Views: 186
Size:  92.0 KB

    Now you can see the twister pattern
    Name:  Attachment-152507.jpe
Views: 177
Size:  110.2 KB

    The full top showing the attached borders
    Name:  Attachment-152508.jpe
Views: 202
Size:  140.0 KB

  2. #27
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    That's very helpful. In the first two pictures ours are the same except I had a 3" border on mine. Even if I can't selvage these little blocks the way they are supposed to be, I'll put together some kind of a charity quilt and start over.

  3. #28
    Senior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    915
    THANK YOU!!! I got it. I used 6 sqs. with border and went by your pictures. The borders are even where they are supposed to be! I'll try and send picture of the good and the bad, but sometimes I have trouble sending pictures so we'll see. Thanks again.

  4. #29
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    THANK YOU!!! I got it. I used 6 sqs. with border and went by your pictures. The borders are even where they are supposed to be! I'll try and send picture of the good and the bad, but sometimes I have trouble sending pictures so we'll see. Thanks again.
    If you used 6 inch blocks, a 3 inch border will be tight but will work. My blocks are 10 inch and I used the larger twister. Looking forward to your pictures!!

  5. #30
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Nancy, Thanks so much that really makes sense now. Noone had showed what to do after they were cut and I am really visual. Thanks again!

  6. #31
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Nancy, Thanks so much that really makes sense now. Noone had showed what to do after they were cut and I am really visual. Thanks again!
    The whole idea seems complicated until you see the pictures then you realize how really simple this tool makes piecing this quilt. I don't recommend a directional print for the border but that is what the grandkids picked out.

  7. #32
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    This is very helpful!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
    Okay, here are some pictures that show what I was explaining. You can see from the last picture the way the borders are slanted. This is why the pattern usually has additional border of the same print added. Since mine is a directional print, I will probably put a 1 inch brown border around instead.

  8. #33
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Glad it was useful to you. Fun to make!

  9. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    465
    Is there a rule as to how many 5" squares with a 3" border you can have & still have enough border?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.