Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Twister Squares

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
    Okay, here are some pictures that show what I was explaining. You can see from the last picture the way the borders are slanted. This is why the pattern usually has additional border of the same print added. Since mine is a directional print, I will probably put a 1 inch brown border around instead.

The top before the Twister is used
    Name:  Attachment-152494.jpe
Views: 157
Size:  128.0 KB

The cuts using the twister- they tilt
    Name:  Attachment-152500.jpe
Views: 185
Size:  98.2 KB

Turning the first row for stitching
    Name:  Attachment-152501.jpe
Views: 178
Size:  95.2 KB

Continuing to turn the cut blocks
    Name:  Attachment-152502.jpe
Views: 186
Size:  92.0 KB

Now you can see the twister pattern
    Name:  Attachment-152507.jpe
Views: 177
Size:  110.2 KB

The full top showing the attached borders
    Name:  Attachment-152508.jpe
Views: 202
Size:  140.0 KB

That's very helpful. In the first two pictures ours are the same except I had a 3" border on mine. Even if I can't selvage these little blocks the way they are supposed to be, I'll put together some kind of a charity quilt and start over.

THANK YOU!!! I got it. I used 6 sqs. with border and went by your pictures. The borders are even where they are supposed to be! I'll try and send picture of the good and the bad, but sometimes I have trouble sending pictures so we'll see. Thanks again.

np3
    Blog Entries
    THANK YOU!!! I got it. I used 6 sqs. with border and went by your pictures. The borders are even where they are supposed to be! I'll try and send picture of the good and the bad, but sometimes I have trouble sending pictures so we'll see. Thanks again.
    If you used 6 inch blocks, a 3 inch border will be tight but will work. My blocks are 10 inch and I used the larger twister. Looking forward to your pictures!!

Blog Entries
    Nancy, Thanks so much that really makes sense now. Noone had showed what to do after they were cut and I am really visual. Thanks again!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Nancy, Thanks so much that really makes sense now. Noone had showed what to do after they were cut and I am really visual. Thanks again!
    The whole idea seems complicated until you see the pictures then you realize how really simple this tool makes piecing this quilt. I don't recommend a directional print for the border but that is what the grandkids picked out.

Blog Entries
    This is very helpful!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    There is the start of my problem I think. My borders (3") are no longer my borders. I'll try and lay my squares out as they were Monday morning. One giant puzzle I'm thinking!!
    Okay, here are some pictures that show what I was explaining. You can see from the last picture the way the borders are slanted. This is why the pattern usually has additional border of the same print added. Since mine is a directional print, I will probably put a 1 inch brown border around instead.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Glad it was useful to you. Fun to make!

Is there a rule as to how many 5" squares with a 3" border you can have & still have enough border?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2