Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?! >

Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

Old 11-05-2014, 05:28 AM

My nephews loves homemade treats in mason jars or small tin cans as well as mug rugs with matching cup having pkg of hot coco and treats inside. Coaster are nice for coffee drinkers. Finger hot pads are good, coffee cup wraps was really popular for me (I can send u pattern) . I did a small coaster to go with a small jar candle as well.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 AM

I agree Mug Rugs, check out the links below. Usually quick to sew and you could machine Quilt, cut out the same pattern and sew as in a assembly line.. Takes longer to decide on pattern and fabric..

http://www.pinterest.com/mamaskeeto/mug-rugs/
http://www.pinterest.com/triciapugh/mug-rug-ideas/
Wait til you see these.... for the Toddler you could make a couple Softie Huggy Toys like Bears or Rag dolls etc.. if its a girl. I sewed Appliques on Towels and Washcloths one year for Easter Gifts for my Grandsons...They loved the dogs and Horses and Nursery Rhyme figures...
Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 AM

I made 26 pillow cases last Christmas for my adult children and the grandchildren too. I bought all different beautiful material with each couple in mind and what they like. They loved them!! And for the little ones I made one pillow case for them. This year I'm making 2 "Frozen quilts" out of 2 panel kits I got from Keepsake, and I'm making pillowcases using Frozen material to go with them and I have pillow forms so with the left over material I'm making them a pillow also, these are for my 3 and 6 yr. old grandchildren. I also made the adults pot holders also. First year I made homemade gifts, it felt good!!! And they loved them.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Maggiemay-exactly how did you do your fabric covered hangars. I have an idea but maybe your idea is different. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by romille View Post
I am trying to figure out what the heck to make for my family. Every year we get together for a dinner and swap gifts. We are a small group these days, I only need about 10 gifts if I do individual gifts... or 6 if I do married couples jointly. There is also one teenager and one 4.5 year old.

In the past, the types of gifts given have been things like home made treats, candles, goodie bags of candy, ornaments, and things of that nature. Last year I gave them all a drawstring bag with a Yankee candle in it. The only thing that varied was the fabric of the bag. For the teen I also gave her a gift card, and the then-3 year old just got toys. This year I have no idea what I want to do. I am looking for the right balance of cost, effort, and looking like I spent more time on it than I actually did. I have a toddler, so sewing time is limited!

Right now this ITH quilted stocking is my forerunner:
http://www.hoopsisters.com/santa-bab...ital-download/

Do you guys have any great ideas??? I am thinking maybe something in-the-hoop for simplicity, but I am also considering some easy mug rugs, coasters, or wall hangings. Or maybe something that I could make partially in the hoop (like appliqué) that is used in a wall hanging, coaster, table topper, etc... I don't know!

>>>What is the best bang-for-your-buck/time thing you guys have found that can be made en masse?
I'm back into pillowcases. Finished up 6 yesterday afternoon. Aiming for at least 10 today. If you want more than just pillowcases, how about buying the pillow, too? Not all mine are flannel, but I did make flannel ones for my hubby and me a couple years ago. Very comfy!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 AM

Add a bag of mints or chocolates to go with the pillowcase.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:56 AM

I've made several mug buckets, and everyone I've given one to has loved it! I've filled them with sewing supplies for the gals in my quilting group, and filled them with office supplies for co-workers. They only take about 45 minutes to make...and less once you get the hang of it. I used the tutorial you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cP1DZzDHxE . Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Well, I was planning to make shopping bags (just fabric, not quilted) that fold up and go into a smaller, drawstring bag. The kind of thing you would just stash in your car for shopping emergencies. However, I love the idea of those first-aid rollups that mollysmom suggested. I found this tutorial online; not sure if it's the same one she used but it looks nice and easy (and quick)!

http://www.positivelysplendid.com/20...-tutorial.html
Old 11-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Maybe some fairly quick placemats. They go pretty quickly if you machine quilt them.
Attached Thumbnails placemats-5.jpg   placemats-3.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 AM

Boston1954......love those placemats. I never would have thought to sew the paper pattern right on the fabric! That looks a whole bunch easier and faster than the chalk and stencil I use from time to time. I am going to try something like that for sure!