Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?! >

Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 AM

How about those holders for dishes from the microwave, including a dish even for the youngsters.it took me one hour to make one just as the video I watched said .
Method, lay topright side up, back right side down on top of top.: then wadding. Machine all round edge leaving a small gap to turn right side out. Press and quilt as you desire.
Get the bowl and make it shape by pulling out 4 corners onto triangle same positions if you used a circle shape.

Done put bowl inside.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

How about fabric bowls filled with cookies,candy or nuts. There are a lot of free patterns on line.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Well, I was planning to make shopping bags (just fabric, not quilted) that fold up and go into a smaller, drawstring bag. The kind of thing you would just stash in your car for shopping emergencies. However, I love the idea of those first-aid rollups that mollysmom suggested. I found this tutorial online; not sure if it's the same one she used but it looks nice and easy (and quick)!

http://www.positivelysplendid.com/20...-tutorial.html
That is the tutorial I used. They sew up quickly and are not expensive to fill. I hope you like these. My BIL is a hunter and he says he keeps his in his backpack when he hunts. Several friends have asked for some to keep in their cars.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:11 AM

Since you are considering an ITH project you must have an embroidery machine. Check out Embroidery Garden.com
Her designs and instructions are the best. Maybe some of the tea light cover sets. For the little one the snowballs are fantastic. I'm giving 6 with different colored noses to my little guys.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:01 PM

​Love that!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:58 PM

I would make corn warmers for the families. 12 x 12" piece of heavy muslin (I use "duck" since I picked up a few bolts cheap). Square off the corners and then fill 1/2-3/4 full of whole kernel corn---not cracked corn. Then I make a removable flannel cover---corners squared off also. Heat up in microwave for 3 minutes for sore shoulders, etc. or to take the chill away from cold toes.
My daughter's college roommates laughed at first at the corn warmer....however, now they "borrow" it all of the time.

Teenager---a gift card for Subway or a favorite pizza place. Or bag of microwave popcorn with 2 movie tickets.

Little one will always love toys...Match box cars. My DH made a "race car ramp" from a 1 x 4" piece of wood. Divide it longitudinally with a 1 x 1 inch piece of wood (glue in place--making 2 lanes) and then use it as a race track so cars can race side by side. Have to balance the board on a couch or ottoman at one end to give it an incline.....(like Pinewood Derby race car tracks). Our grandsons beg their uncle's old race car track when they visit so they got their very own last year. Have to sand it smooth so no slivers or paint it a cool color..
Old 11-08-2014, 06:23 PM

I saw a link for a car organizer and now I can't find it, but it's a great gift idea. It's like one of those shoe organizers but shorter with a loop to go around the head rest on the car and hang over the back of the seat. If I can find the pattern again I'm going to make one for each of the grands and put stuff in the pockets they will like...DVDs, lip gloss/chap stick, colored pencils & small drawing pads, crossword puzzle books, small kid binoculars, hot cheetos/snacks...things they can use on car trips. Since I lost the pattern if anyone sees something like this please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 AM

Lots of great ideas!! Now I have some ideas for the next couple Christmases

I think this year I am going to go with a mug rug and a mug filled with cocoa fixings, and/or maybe a small bag of coffee. The trouble is, now my head is about to explode with about a billion different mug rug options! I have been googling and searching pinterest for a couple days, as well as thinking about various blocks I could miniaturize or appliqué/embroidery designs I could use.

I honestly don't get the whole pillow case thing. Always just seemed odd to make pillow cases to me for some reason. However, after hearing all your suggestions I did pick up material to make one for my teenaged cousin. She loves sea turtles, and I saw a cool pillow case kit with an appliquéd sea turtle (using the Honu Sea Turtle pattern by Lisa Carter). I loved bright greens and blues in the fabric kit, so I picked it up.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

Lots of good ideas. Love the simple placemats. I like the table runner that is a square on point with french braids. Takes 3 fat quarters.