Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying off a quilt instead of quilting? >

Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 AM

I still make tied quilts. I like the country, rustic, down home, cuddly look it gives them :-)

Vicky
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 AM

I do both!!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 AM

I love the puffy tied look as well. If you use a a drop of Fray check on each knot, they do not come untied.At least some have been getting washed for 25 years with no problems!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 AM

I do both ways but mostly FMQ. If you're doing charity quilts check with the charity for their guidelines. Children's hospitals often only want machine quilted for many reasons & no fleece.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 AM

I tie because I am a chicken and am scared of Free Motion Quilting. Anyone want to give me tips on that I will be honored.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM

We make quilts for charity at our church, been tying them for over ten years and the thank yous we get are all positive. Only quilts we made years ago that we had to hand sew went to the Bethesda Home, a place for developmentally disabled people, they requested no ties. The people would take them out and maybe even eat them. We did not sew them like one does hand quilting for a show, but as one older lady said, make your stitches small enough so someone's big toe don't get caught in them. She was so funny and full of information.

I have seen hand quilted projects done so fine and close, I know they didn't have any batting inside to speak of. So hard and unfriendly, a piece of art, yes, but not cuddly and soft like you want a quilt to be.

Carol J.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 AM

We make quilts for charity at our church, been tying them for over ten years and the thank yous we get are all positive. Only quilts we made years ago that we had to hand sew went to the Bethesda Home, a place for developmentally disabled people, they requested no ties. The people would take them out and maybe even eat them. We did not sew them like one does hand quilting for a show, but as one older lady said, make your stitches small enough so someone's big toe don't get caught in them. She was so funny and full of information.

I have seen hand quilted projects done so fine and close, I know they didn't have any batting inside to speak of. So hard and unfriendly, a piece of art, yes, but not cuddly and soft like you want a quilt to be.

Carol J.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 AM

According to my guild, to tie a quilt makes it a comforter. I entered a quilt which I was proud of--a Brown Bag Project, and I was told the judge would barely look at it because it was tied rather than quilted. I really didn't care.
I tied a lot of mine, as I don't have the time to do that much quilting--hand, and I can't afford to send them out to be machine quilted very often. So, around here to tie them they are then referred to as "comforters."
Our guild ties almost all of them we do for Community Quilts. It for sure is not a "lost art."
Mariah.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM

I sometimes tie my fleece blanket quilts with the machine. My Janome has a star stitch and I select it and when it starts stitching I hit the tieoff button so it just does 1 pattern and then cuts the thread. Really fast I just put it in memory and can do a whole blanket really fast.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM

I tie most of mine as well. Had great luck until the last one; gonna have to retie as the yarn I used was not a wise choice and they are all coming undone! YIKES! I had no idea there was such a difference in yarns. Live and Learn. The quilt is mine so it's not a big deal but still never had that problem before.