Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange? >

Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange?

Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Back a few years, I remember they use to stamp the envelope with NON-REFUNDABLE or NO RETURNS but now I notice they no longer do that. But I always new you could not return them and books.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19 PM

I guess it sounds like a good reason but I am with the line of thinking that if you don't think like a con, you probably aren't copying the pattern. But selling it on here is a great idea.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Yes it is.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 PM

I bought a hand embroidery pattern while at the Houston Quilt Show. I saw it on a pillow and told her I wanted that pattern. She said she had forgotten to bring that one and would mail it to me. I paid and expected to get the pattern I ask for. It was another simular one. I e-mailed to the address on the pattern and got one back saying she was not at the show and does not have a pattern like I described. However, she does have the one that was sent even tho she did not send it. So I looked back at the envelope that it came in and it was a different person. I have sent her two messages asking for the one I had paid for and have not received a reply. Will I buy from her again!! In that instance I would expect her to send the one I ordered. I offered to return the wrong one. Yes, it has always been no returns as long as I remember but she made the mistake. I would probably be happy if she just acknowledged it was wrong.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 PM

It does sound sensible for the shop not take back a pattern, they are easily copied. You could sell it in our classifieds and at least reap some of your money back.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 PM

I was in JoAnn's yesterday looking at books and found a "make it in the hoop" book with CD. As I flipped through the book I realized there was no CD. When I turned to the back you could clearly see that it had been ripped out. I went to the woman at the cutting counter and showed it to her so no other customer would buy and get home and be disappointed. She looked disgusted and said, "Oh, you wouldn't believe it but it happens all the time." I was pretty shocked. I like to think that all quiters are honest people.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 PM

I have made the mistake of buying a pattern I liked twice. (I guess I REALLY liked it!) It's such a waste of money! To prevent that from happening again I made a list in Word on my computer of all my books and supplies. My books are listed by author's last name. Patterns are listed alphabetically by title. Magazines are listed by name with the month and year after it. Embroidery CDs are listed by title. I even have my rulers listed by size and my machine feet listed by number. This may sound compulsive but it has saved me money by preventing duplication. My deal with myself is that if I buy it, I have to go to the computer and enter it before I read or use it. Once every month or two I print out my updated list and keep it in my purse. Anybody else do this?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 PM

it is typical. that being said, when i was vacationing in florida, i bought a mariner's compass book - $24.99. when i got back to the cottage, i realized that the compasses were 3D, not at all what i thought they were. i called immediately and explained. they checked while i was on the phone. luckily, i had charged it, so there was a record. they agreed to take it back the next morning because i called so promptly. they knew i couldn't have copied so fast.

but she did explain that they have a policy of not accepting returns on books for copyright reasons. i just lucked out that time.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing, I can never get the pattern fold the same way!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
When I got home, I realized that a pattern I had purchased was very similar to a pattern I already have. When I took it back to the shop, the owner said they could not take patterns back because of copyright issues -- someone might copy the pattern and then return it.

Just wondering if this is typical? In many years of purchasing quilt patterns, I believe this is the first time I ever took one back!
Yes, at the fabric store I go to, there is a sticker right on all patterns and books, and magazines. No return.