Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Challenge of the Month 2010 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM

They are all stunning!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM

WOW....Love those quilts. What is the name of the 2nd one, I can do that with my Batiks.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MISHNJIM
WOW....Love those quilts. What is the name of the 2nd one, I can do that with my Batiks.
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?code=429062

This is a link to the quilt I used as an inspiration but I didn't like their colors or the way it was put together.

It would be beautiful in batiks. When you get your's done, be sure and post it, I'd love to see it in other colors.

I just made up my own by looking at the picture. I wanted mine much bigger. The blocks in mine are 16 1/2", the strips are 2"cuts of each color x width. It takes two strips to make one full frame. The sq in the center is 3 1/2", the white strips are 3 1/2" x 7 1/2". The colored strips once sewn and pressed are 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 and 12 1/2. I had to keep the block above and the previous block on my design wall and lay out the block I was working on to match them. Once I got the block pieced I squared it up to 16 1/2". For me, and even though I hate it, pinning was a MUST when I sewed the blocks to each other. Since I didn't know how many colored strips to start out with, I cut way more than I needed. That's why it has that pieced border. LOL! It wasn't planned in the beginning, it just ended up that way. Every piece of it was from my stash and I still have enough strips to do a Rail Fence or some other quilt that starts out with strips. It's certainly not as easy as some of the quilts I've done but it was fun. Once I started I couldn't stop. I had it done in 10 or 11 days and one huge back ache.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 AM

raptureready, your quilts are very pretty. I love the pieced border on number two.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 PM

I'm in! I already accepted a similar challenge from my local quilt guild. We all donated the organizer one batik fat quarter for every UFO we committed to complete this year. At the end, I suppose those who reach their goal will have a lot of those fat quarters! Anyway, I want to get all of these DONE, DONE, DONE!!! So, any extra incentive can only be a good thing, right?? So, I'd like to be involved in this challenge, as well! Thanks, WLee
Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 AM

I have completed my january and february UFO s and working on my march one. But when I made a baby quilt in feb., I had a lot of fabric left over so I pieced another baby quiltn and then I still had fabric left so I started another one. The last one looks like a sampler block quilt. So I have finished 2 UFOs and created 2 more!! Do I count these for 2010 or 2011!! Ha ha! Actually I'd like to have a couple boy quilts and a couple girl quilts made ahead so I can work on the ones for my family.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 AM

I finally set a top together that I'd pieced the blocks for 3 years ago. Does anyone remember the Hancock's BOM with the big appliqued basket on it? Man that thing was ugly. I took the class because it was the only thing being offered at the time but I didn't like the colors, the blocks, etc. But after accepting this challenge I finally made myself set the blocks together. So now it has gone from a UFO to a 'Lady in Waiting' until I can start quilting. Maybe it's not so ugly just more not my taste. . . . . no, I was right the first time, it's ugly.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM

This will be my March UFO. I found the center of this little quilt in my closet, so quilted it with my quilt as you go method. Feels good to meet this challenge each month.

Front - Another Ducky Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12793[/ATTACH]

Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12826[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12793.jpe   attachment-12826.jpe  
Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Where is everyone?
I finished another UFO, a small bag started ...years ago. It looked so cute and lonely, I made a journal cover and roll up with the left over fabrics. I will post a picture once I locate the camera.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM

I haven't been quilting due to shoulder surgery and now moving, hoping to get back in the thick of it real soon!