Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UFOs

Blog Entries

UFOs

I thought I was doing really well on finishing up a number of UFOs recently (11 since January), but then I pulled out a tub that I thought had potential backing fabrics in to. To my surprise (and dismay) it had four partially pieced quilt tops! ARGGGGG All of these tops were at least six or seven years old and in different stages of progress. On a positive note, each project has the pattern and extra fabric with it. That is a really good thing! :-)

Upon inspection, I decided that each of these projects was "cast aside" because I wasn't happy with the workmanship or fabric choices and I didn't want to take the time (or know how) to fix the problem areas. Well, I've learned a bit since then and I've decided that these have to get done. They're doing no good being closed up in a tub that could/should be used to store new fabric for new projects.

It's sad, but I hadn't been working on UFOs lately because I thought I was pretty close to the end of them. Well, I guess I should continue looking. Who knows, maybe there's more lurking in other areas of the sewing room.

How many UFOs do you have?

Joanne, this is an interesting topic and I like your story. I only have a few, mostly quilt tops done and need quilting now. I have always worked really hard not to have UFO's around. Having said that I have stacks of fabric waiting for piecing.lol
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Never mind, you've still made progress this year. I've been working on mine too, and have finished about 4 and done some more work on several others. So not the 12 I'd hoped to finish, but something. It's just a pity that I started three new projects....!

Yes I have far too many UFO's -- and they are growing !!! I WILL get there LOL

I have a lot of UFOs, probably more than 50! And I don't even count my tops that are waiting for me to save money to have them LA quilted. I get bored quickly, I think, and when I master whatever block that I'm making and I make several, chain stitching parts together, then have to put them away because the grandkids are coming or something, the next time I'm ready to sew, which is several days later, I want to start a different quilt pattern. I keep telling myself that I need to finish some of my UFOs, but myself keeps telling me that "this" pattern would make such a lovely quilt--LOL!

Joyce

I am currently packing up my house to move.. I'm not sure how many ufo's I actually have to be honest with you. I can say that I have 2 xerox boxes with them though... One I just packed and there's probably about 6 in there. The other box I did not open. I just taped it shut and put it with the rest of the packed up boxes... I cringe at what is inside. I know a few were because of material choices. I doubt that I'll finish them. I'll rip them apart to do something else with them eventually... there is a tree skirt & a set of placemats that have a ton of Y seams. I do plan on finishing them this coming year. When I started them I was not as skilled as I am now. Most of them are projects that I had started making with a friend of mine, who then started to home school, decided I was not cool enough to call and sew with anymore because I didn't home school, then moved away. The only time I hear from her now is when she wants something... not a good two way street so now when I look at those projects I think of her and the friendship I lost... so those will take a bit more time. One of those projects I just picked up again rather recently. I did set that project aside to maybe work on it when and if I have some free time before we move....

Ive been on a mission to finish ufo's as well......got 5 done this week and working on more! amazing what we find when we start digging in the bins !!!

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Is it a UFO if you have purchased fabric and chosen the pattern for the quilt, but have not started cutting? If yes, then I have too many UFO's to count. If those are defined as potential stash additions, because I may change my mind and not make that quilt at all or used totally different, then only two. A lap quilt with a sunflower design that will be going to the ALS Hopes and Dreams project that still needs to be basted and FMQ and the quilt that I used to take with me to the hospital and hand quilt in my dad's room.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Is it a UFO if you have purchased fabric and chosen the pattern for the quilt, but have not started cutting? If yes, then I have too many UFO's to count. If those are defined as potential stash additions, because I may change my mind and not make that quilt at all or used totally different, then only two. A lap quilt with a sunflower design that will be going to the ALS Hopes and Dreams project that still needs to be basted and FMQ and the quilt that I used to take with me to the hospital and hand quilt in my dad's room.
    Nope, when you have a planned project, that you set aside, you have 'PIGS' - Projects in Grocery Sacks

I like to think that I have PHD's instead of UFO's . . . . I sound so much smarter. Project's Half Done
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Boy! Why did I think I was the only one who did this??? But I do go back & check all my sacks everyonce in awhile and pick something to finish. So many "PIGS"--- projects in grocery sacks. Main thing is I'm enjoying myself as I'm sure both or "all of us are".

have fun margee

Blog Entries
    I have 3 hidden UFO's tops that I will have Long arm quilted (when I have a good year in Real Estate and have extra $$$). I have 2 more UFO's tops that will be quilted in the next month or so. And one that I am top quilting myself this week. For me it is a matter of spending so much $$$ (and it is worth the $$$ spent to have it done) out of my budget. My goal is to begin practicing FMQ, so little time, so much to do.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I've been slogging through my ufo's for months. I don't really think I'll ever get them all done. Just when I think I'm making good progress, we start a new group project in my quilting group or someone in my family needs a new one or I have to repair one and on and on and on. In the meantime, everyone in my family has a quilt, some are on their second ones, and I STILL DON'T HAVE ONE for me or my home!!!

I have never counted all of my UFO's and I'm not sure I want to. Two years ago, as part of our Guild's 10th Anniversary, one member challenged us to finish all of them or at least one and show them at the June meeting. As I knew I had quite a few, I decided to get them gathered up and get started. Well, I completely filled two of the largest bins that Rubbermaid makes with completed tops and most of those were full sized quilts. I have dutifully completed one per month, have a stack of ten large finished quilts (I quilted them on my DM) and have given away a pile of others. I can now easily closed the lids on my bins but they are no way close to being empty. Then there are all my shoe boxes holding all or most of the completed blocks for a top that need sashing and borders to complete the flimsy. There are probably at least three dozen of those (the oldest one from 1976!) Then there are two more large bins of completed bocks and sets of blocks. How many UFO's??? Lots!!!
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

I have a lot of UFOs in various stages of progress. I seem to jump from 1 thing to another lately. I am finally getting back my urge to sew and hope to get some of these things finished in the coming months.

Oh my goodness, way to many to count. I finally organized by room and put each project in a box with labels on outside and promise to work them all in order using as many scraps as possible so that doesn't keep growing too. LOL

I had a Disappearing 9 Patch that had set for a couple of years because we had developed a strong hatred for each other. Since I had a retreat coming up I decided to take it and finish it once and for all. When I took it out at the retreat one of the other quilters said, "Oh, how pretty! I just LOVE that." I promptly answered her and said, "I don't so since you do it's now yours. Enjoy!" Then I crossed it off my 'to do' list and considered it finished.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Most of mine are unstarted projects which I have planned on making! I have trouble getting started!
    diane

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
    I had a Disappearing 9 Patch that had set for a couple of years because we had developed a strong hatred for each other. Since I had a retreat coming up I decided to take it and finish it once and for all. When I took it out at the retreat one of the other quilters said, "Oh, how pretty! I just LOVE that." I promptly answered her and said, "I don't so since you do it's now yours. Enjoy!" Then I crossed it off my 'to do' list and considered it finished.

LOVE IT!

That's one way to get a UFO off your back. And it's a win-win!

I've got a running list of "open projects" ... periodically I go back and rewrite the list, prioritize what I want to accomplish based on upcoming events (holdiay, gift, etc.). Then there is the "project kit bin" that has probably a dozen differnt smallish projects in it for when I'm not sure what to work on next. I find too many UFOs stresses me out. I'm goal oriented.
    Sharon

I have several projects at various levels of completion. I too, get bored easily, and I do a lot of messing around. But on the upside I have completed quite a few this year, and started quite a few more as well. Its a cycle. As long as I'm not under pressure to get them done, who cares? I usually get the quilts done that I have in mind to give to someone. Whenever I see a technique that I have not tried, I have to do a sample, so lets say along with the several projects, I have several samples also. I make a list of the projects that I have finished, and so far in the last 3 years, I have done around 28. The list of UFO's is overwhelming, so I don't list them. I just have a lot of fun with quilting and I feel that I have learned a lot.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Too many to admit to.

Jim
    I have been dutifully completing a few of mine and down to two ...that I will tear apart or cut apart because they are hideous. Working on my last one for SIL now...changed it up abit but its gonna be great and him being a car buff..he will love it
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    NO! that can't be. I could actually change my mind about the pattern or something. If this is the case, then I still have a long way to go on my UFO's....I prefer to think that only if I have cut and sewn some of the fabric that it is a UFO. This is MY thoery and I'm sticking to it. With this theory in mind....I have caught up on ALL my UFO's, as far as quilts go! LOL
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I also thought I had my UFO stack down to one (!) and then I found a box with projects in ziploc bags... But also like you, there were reasons I had stopped working on them. The first one was because I chose to use fabric that was too thick for the pattern. The fabric was more like heavy upholstery or drapery weight. I decided to finish it up and instead of making it as big as I originally planned, finished up the 6 rather large squares I was doing and put big borders around it and will make it into a charity quilt--twin sized.

That way it is out of the unfinished box (I put quilt tops in a different category as UFOs since for them, I am content to leave them as quilt tops until I'm ready to quilt them--)--the UFOs I'm thinking of are the ones that are partly sewn together.

Now, in the process of working on those six, I kind of started more. For example, I found 12 9 patch blue and off white squares and decided to use them up by making a queen size quilt out of scrappy blues and off whites. ??? So, that is a project that I've been doing just to use up the 12 9-patches that I had. (had to make 80+ more of those 9patches!) But I'm having fun and that is what I think is important. It should all finish out okay in the end. And if it doesn't...well, I enjoyed myself and make some pretty things in the process!

Quote Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
    Yes I have far too many UFO's -- and they are growing !!! I WILL get there LOL
    Hehe! Me too!!!!!! AND I keep starting more!
    Hilary

Blog Entries
    Hmm... quilt-wise, two. One I am not even done cutting out the pieces for, and one that I got at an estate sale (in a box o' misc. fabrics) that just needs binding, but I can't decide how to do that, because there wasn't fabric to make binding with and commercial solid colors... just won't work.

However, on costumes.... WAYYYYY too many. A lot, even. *shudder* And looking at needing a new chemise, bloomers, two skirts (minimum) and two bodices. *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast