UFOs

Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Oh no.. I have none.. I am working on a project of four quilts for my staff, and then I will start another project. I must have OCD, as I can't start something until I'm finished with the one I am working on.. Ughhh
Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 PM

I found one UFO that was 30 years old.. its the only UFO I have and most likely will never finish it... it has no appeal to me now.. and I can't bring myself to finish it. It was before I had a rotary cutter and the piecing is not something I would be proud of today.
When I was growing up my Mom would never ever allow us to cut any fabric if there was something unfinished. This "training" has stayed with me .
Old 12-29-2013, 05:22 PM

I have several but don't call them ufo's, I call them WIP's, works in progress. Several of them are paper pieced and I try to get a few blocks done on them every week. Eventually they will be finished. Right now I am doing some quilting on a wall hanging that has been patiently waiting to be completed.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 PM

It finally got to the point where I triaged all of my UFO's. A lot came from my younger quilting days, and frankly, my tastes have changed. I separated out all of the UFO's I wanted to finish. I donated a whole bin full of tops to a group who makes Charity Quilts, along with some fabric for the backing. Again, these were practice tops, and I was more interested in learning the technique than actually making a quilt, so why beat myself up for not finishing them? I donated a whole bin of quilt blocks to the school so the girls would have blocks already done to sew together. They were very pleased to receive them. The rest of the tops that no one would want, are tops I am using to practice FMQ stitching. That cleaned out my UFO's and gave me an incentive to finish the ones I wanted to finish.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 AM

Wow, you have all made me feel much better,I only have three u.f.o's and two projects I am working on,one machine one hand.One of the u.f.o quilts depends on the state of my hands as it is hand quilting.As it is almost the new year who has put ' finishing projects' on their list ? Letty x
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 AM

I have PIGS, projects in grocery sacks! LOTS of pigs! However I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as my daughter is quilting all my unfinished quilt tops for me. She does lovely FMQ and that seems to be where most of my projects hang up. She has done five so far and has seven at her house now and I have a BIG bunch hanging in my closet yet to go, and of course I keep on making more.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:56 AM

If I have UFO's around too long, I donate them to our Community Quilts. Once they are gone, it's such a relief to start on new projects. I like the idea of them being new to someone.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have a few, 20 + but they are all tops I have made. Once I have mastered the new technique on the top I have runout of interest as it is the mastering a new technique....
Same here. Once I finish the top, I lose interest. I, too, have about 10+ tops that need to be turned into finished quilts.

Anita
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 AM

I only have one which is a quilt top that I made in a class I took and never quilted it. I tend to work on one project at a time and complete it before I move on to the next. I do have ideas for future projects and some collections of fabric in my stash for the next project. I travel a lot and seek out quilt shops along the way and buy a few small pieces of fabric as a memento. I am usually looking for specific theme for the fabric. It usually takes me several years to put together a collection.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 AM

Oh, yes, way too many UFOs. They seem to multiply just like the hangars in the closet or plastic grocery bags. I'm going to be doing UFOs this year and not buying more fabric. That's hard when I come to this Board almost daily!