Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UFOs

DJ

UFOs

Do you have any UFOs that you intended to make as Christmas gifts but are going to have to wait for another year?

I have a Christmas stocking for a DGD that I will make for another Christmas. This one would be kept at my home anyway, and she is at her home for Christmas this year. She's 2 years old, so won't know the difference anyway. I did get the one for another DGD made and gifted on Thanksgiving, since she will use hers at home.

What do you already have lined up for Christmas 2018?

Blog Entries
    I have a ton of UFO's to finish. But, none that needed to be done for this year. But, next year, I'm going to make it my mission to get UFO's finished. I don't know why, but, I have had a burning desire to see them all finished. So, I want to finish at least a UFO a month. Preferably 2 if I can manage it. That should take care of a great number of UFO's in my studio. I seem to be a great starter. But, not so much on finishing.

I also have a few new things I would like to make. So, will have to temper my UFO's with something new along the way.

I think I will join the UFO thread next year. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a lot of finishes next year.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL! YES! this year I have a wall hanging that I bought as a precut kit from Keepsake--the one with the 3 raccoons ((I have 3 g-boys and plan to quilt their names in the tree) that I am a longgg way from finishing--maybe for their folks for Valentine's?? And a quilted vest is laying on the frame--would have started it last Thurs or Fri but realized I didn't have the silk bat I thought I had, DH picked up on Fri night when he went into city and company since. So....

Blog Entries
    I've had a holiday quilt for me in the works for 3 years. looks like it will be 4 now LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I don't have any UFO's. I'm a bit anal and work on projects start to finish. When a quilts done, I take it to the quilter and bind it immediately when I pick up. I was able to finish all my Christmas projects in time. I did Christmas all year, which was a first for me. That's not to say that I don't have stacks of fabrics organized for quilts waiting to be cut and sewn. Lol! This year I will likely have a UFO since I'm starting a Baltimore Album quilt. Since I plan on making other things I will work on BA a bit at a time. Probably drive me nuts but I'll give it a try. Lol..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    New Year's resolution: Make a list of my UFOs. Maybe something will happen if they have their names written down on a clipboard.

Battle axe ... I saw a ufo list for free at craftsy you print out if you are interested. That wold make it pretty hanging around anyway. LOL ...
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I have more UFO's than I care to admit, but I feel good that I have picked one back up and am going to give it to Jim next December. It is a Boxed Squares. The blocks were done but not joined up so I am making progress. I have loads of time so there is no rush.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    New Year's resolution: Make a list of my UFOs. Maybe something will happen if they have their names written down on a clipboard.
    This is really a good idea. I'll be doing this also.
    Peace

2017 was the year of finishing off any UFO's for me. One was started back in 2010 and I just finished it two days ago so I am feeling very smug. I can start 2018 with a clean slate and have many ideas running around in my head. More UFO's in the making. LOL!!!!!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I joined the guild's UFO challenge which means we write 10 projects down. Thinking that writing them down would help me finish more, I was mistaken. Life got in the way and I got 3 out of the 10 (and another one not written down) done. That's 4 more than I had last year finished. Unfortunately I created a few more tops this year to add to the UFO pile. It's a struggle. Wish I had the dedication Teen has - not to start a new one til the latest one is complete. But I don't and doubt I ever will.....

Have to say that it feels GREAT to cross a UFO off the list.

Blog Entries
    So I went into my stash room with a blank clip board. I got up to 9 and then discovered that the fabric that I had just purchased, had been purchased several years before and was in a tub staring at me. I think it is a wake up call. Gotta shop in the stash. Then I found several (maybe 25 yards) of Jinny Beyer. More reasons to shop in the stash.

I consider a finished top to be a finish. There are seven of those.

Blog Entries
    Just a reminder..the 2017 UFO Challenge of the Month( https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...h-t284858.html )thread is wrapping up on here and Janice needs someone to take over. If you are good at keeping tallies, I know she would appreciate a volunteer to take over her job of past two years. I did it before her. It is a fun thread as you get to see first what others have completed. The goal for 2018 is to hit over 300 finishes! Can anyone volunteer?
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    So I went into my stash room with a blank clip board. I got up to 9 and then discovered that the fabric that I had just purchased, had been purchased several years before and was in a tub staring at me. I think it is a wake up call. Gotta shop in the stash. Then I found several (maybe 25 yards) of Jinny Beyer. More reasons to shop in the stash.

I consider a finished top to be a finish. There are seven of those.
    Oh, I don't have any trouble finishing the top---it's the sandwiching and quilting that I get hung up on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    I don't have any UFO's. I'm a bit anal and work on projects start to finish. When a quilts done, I take it to the quilter and bind it immediately when I pick up. I was able to finish all my Christmas projects in time. I did Christmas all year, which was a first for me. That's not to say that I don't have stacks of fabrics organized for quilts waiting to be cut and sewn. Lol! This year I will likely have a UFO since I'm starting a Baltimore Album quilt. Since I plan on making other things I will work on BA a bit at a time. Probably drive me nuts but I'll give it a try. Lol..
    Bless your heart, I need to channel your spirit. Get caught up and stay caught up!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I am like teen and totally finish a quilt before starting another. I don't have storage room for ufos.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

[QUOTE=I think I will join the UFO thread next year. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a lot of finishes next year.[/QUOTE]

WAIT! There's a UFO thread on this board? Where? I sure need it!

Blog Entries
    I started dating a friend about 9 years ago. (We were both widowed). Things were getting serious so I wanted to make him a throw quilt for Valentine's day. It was January when I started so I didn't have much time. It was a panel quilt so I only had to add borders but I didn't know how I would quilt it since I had only SITD before. So I decided to piece the back using jelly roll strips and figured I would SITD from the back to quilt it. I was still working then so I did not have time to finish it by Valentine's day. I wrapped the top and partially pieced back and gave him the unfinished quilt anyway with a promise to finish it within a few weeks. We got married that August and I still didn't have it done. 8 years later my husband reminded me that he was still waiting for it. So I finally finished it last June and told him "Happy Valentine's Day" as I handed it to him. He loves it. I am now retired and am in the process of finishing other UFO's.

I have a few UFO's-I am never sure why that happens. I really want to finish them. So, I plan to categorize them and work on them-maybe a specific time each week. Maybe that will help. I admire those of you who finish each one you start before going on to another one. I think I get into the UFO thing because something more pressing comes up and the delay in finishing something just gets pushed back and back and then becomes another UFO.

Blog Entries
    About three years ago I saw a post on the QB about writing a list of goals for the New Year. I have already set aside the 11x17 poster board for 2018s list of goals and this will be my 4th year. Ladies and gentlemen, I can tell you it really does help to have this list in plain sight in your sewing area where you are reminded of your current projects and UFOs. I got about 85% of my 2017 goals done so the first one on my 2018 list is my Gypsy Wife project...its about 3/4s of the way done.

In 2017 I also started adding a few non-quilting goals at the bottom of my poster board...like organizing my recipes. (Ps...I have kept all of the previous years list of goals as a reminder of my accomplishments)
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I'm in the group that finishes a quilt before I start another. I've always been that way, just me.

I'm usually pretty good about finishing tops. I have a couple in progress right now... one is stalled out because I'm at a point that the trimming on a specific point is tricky and I"m afraid to mess it up. My problem is when the top is finished, I'm either not sure how I want to quilt it, or my idea for how I want to quilt it, is beyond my current free motion or ruler work abilities... I also have a couple REALLY BIG quilts that I'm dreading...the basting and quilting of... I have a Gammill Charm, so moving the quilt while quilting is a bit of a chore.

JMOORE....I think you really hit the crap out of that nails head!!!!! This is a very good idea to get things done! Especially about using a poster b o a r d!!!! I make lists...lots of lists because I loose them!!!! So I think I'm gonna use the calendar back of an old calendar. (you know the big ones) and then I'll have to put it up on my cork board and I think it will have a good chance of not becoming a candidate for a milk carton. Thanks for the info and maybe I'll get more done.

I have 2 UFO's that I don't like so I'm not sure what will happen to them. I also have a few that I love so they will hopefully get finished sometime soon.
    I just bought some cat fabric layer cake and yardage and am dying to use it but I'm making myself wait
    We'll see if that happens or not!

I don't have Christmas UFOs but do have approx 8 or 9 tops to be sandwiched and quilted. Sandwiching is the one part of quilting I dislike. My daughter was here last month and sandwiched 9 tops for me which I have already finished. These are 45 x 50 or 60 that I make to give to a head start program at my church. I have a head start on the tops but need to get them done so I will be ahead of the game plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast