UFOs

Old 12-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I joined the guild's UFO challenge which means we write 10 projects down. Thinking that writing them down would help me finish more, I was mistaken. Life got in the way and I got 3 out of the 10 (and another one not written down) done. That's 4 more than I had last year finished. Unfortunately I created a few more tops this year to add to the UFO pile. It's a struggle. Wish I had the dedication Teen has - not to start a new one til the latest one is complete. But I don't and doubt I ever will.....

Have to say that it feels GREAT to cross a UFO off the list.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:19 PM

So I went into my stash room with a blank clip board. I got up to 9 and then discovered that the fabric that I had just purchased, had been purchased several years before and was in a tub staring at me. I think it is a wake up call. Gotta shop in the stash. Then I found several (maybe 25 yards) of Jinny Beyer. More reasons to shop in the stash.

I consider a finished top to be a finish. There are seven of those.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Just a reminder..the 2017 UFO Challenge of the Month( 2017 UFO Challenge of the Month )thread is wrapping up on here and Janice needs someone to take over. If you are good at keeping tallies, I know she would appreciate a volunteer to take over her job of past two years. I did it before her. It is a fun thread as you get to see first what others have completed. The goal for 2018 is to hit over 300 finishes! Can anyone volunteer?
Old 12-24-2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
So I went into my stash room with a blank clip board. I got up to 9 and then discovered that the fabric that I had just purchased, had been purchased several years before and was in a tub staring at me. I think it is a wake up call. Gotta shop in the stash. Then I found several (maybe 25 yards) of Jinny Beyer. More reasons to shop in the stash.

I consider a finished top to be a finish. There are seven of those.
Oh, I don't have any trouble finishing the top---it's the sandwiching and quilting that I get hung up on.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I don't have any UFO's. I'm a bit anal and work on projects start to finish. When a quilts done, I take it to the quilter and bind it immediately when I pick up. I was able to finish all my Christmas projects in time. I did Christmas all year, which was a first for me. That's not to say that I don't have stacks of fabrics organized for quilts waiting to be cut and sewn. Lol! This year I will likely have a UFO since I'm starting a Baltimore Album quilt. Since I plan on making other things I will work on BA a bit at a time. Probably drive me nuts but I'll give it a try. Lol..
Bless your heart, I need to channel your spirit. Get caught up and stay caught up!!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

I am like teen and totally finish a quilt before starting another. I don't have storage room for ufos.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=I think I will join the UFO thread next year. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a lot of finishes next year.[/QUOTE]

WAIT! There's a UFO thread on this board? Where? I sure need it!
Old 12-25-2017, 04:07 AM

I started dating a friend about 9 years ago. (We were both widowed). Things were getting serious so I wanted to make him a throw quilt for Valentine's day. It was January when I started so I didn't have much time. It was a panel quilt so I only had to add borders but I didn't know how I would quilt it since I had only SITD before. So I decided to piece the back using jelly roll strips and figured I would SITD from the back to quilt it. I was still working then so I did not have time to finish it by Valentine's day. I wrapped the top and partially pieced back and gave him the unfinished quilt anyway with a promise to finish it within a few weeks. We got married that August and I still didn't have it done. 8 years later my husband reminded me that he was still waiting for it. So I finally finished it last June and told him "Happy Valentine's Day" as I handed it to him. He loves it. I am now retired and am in the process of finishing other UFO's.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:18 AM

I have a few UFO's-I am never sure why that happens. I really want to finish them. So, I plan to categorize them and work on them-maybe a specific time each week. Maybe that will help. I admire those of you who finish each one you start before going on to another one. I think I get into the UFO thing because something more pressing comes up and the delay in finishing something just gets pushed back and back and then becomes another UFO.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:18 AM

About three years ago I saw a post on the QB about writing a list of goals for the New Year. I have already set aside the 11x17 poster board for 2018’s list of goals and this will be my 4th year. Ladies and gentlemen, I can tell you it really does help to have this list in plain sight in your sewing area where you are reminded of your current projects and UFO’s. I got about 85% of my 2017 goals done so the first one on my 2018 list is my Gypsy Wife project...it’s about 3/4’s of the way done.

In 2017 I also started adding a few non-quilting goals at the bottom of my poster board...like organizing my recipes. (Ps...I have kept all of the previous year’s list of goals as a reminder of my accomplishments)