UFOs

Old 12-26-2017, 10:13 AM

My son was married in July 2010. The big idea was to make a wedding ring quilt for their first anniversary. I had the top done in the summer of 2011, but my Mom volunteered (maybe I conscripted her talents...it’s been a long time) to hand quilt it. The quilting is not detailed. She has 5 blocks to go. My stitches are very different from hers, and she has arthritis, so who knows when it will get done? I’ve put it in a guild contest as one of my 6 UFOs. Every other month a number (1-6) is drawn, and that’s the quilt each person works on and hopes to have done in the two month time frame. So the UFO contest should force me to do it myself and get it done. Mom will be 90 in February and if some of the stitching is different...so be it. It’s a labor of love and hopefully, the kids will see it as such. So it’s now my UFO project to finish for Christmas 2018. Nice to know I’m not alone on this. :-)

Edited to add: GEMRM- That’s a good story!

Last edited by coopah; 12-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I have a ton of UFO's to finish. But, none that needed to be done for this year. But, next year, I'm going to make it my mission to get UFO's finished. I don't know why, but, I have had a burning desire to see them all finished. So, I want to finish at least a UFO a month. Preferably 2 if I can manage it. That should take care of a great number of UFO's in my studio. I seem to be a great starter. But, not so much on finishing.

I also have a few new things I would like to make. So, will have to temper my UFO's with something new along the way.

I think I will join the UFO thread next year. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a lot of finishes next year.

Judith, we would love to see on the UFO Challenge page, but we looking for a new conductor, maybe you be that.

Cherry
Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
2017 was the year of finishing off any UFO's for me. One was started back in 2010 and I just finished it two days ago so I am feeling very smug. I can start 2018 with a clean slate and have many ideas running around in my head. More UFO's in the making. LOL!!!!!!!
Please Busy Fingers, wrap this year with pictures of your finish in the UFO Challenge site. We would love to see it.

Cherry
Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
WAIT! There's a UFO thread on this board? Where? I sure need it!
Yes ma'am. and we have fun list out our UFO's and taking pix when we finish one. But the thread is in need of a conductor for 2018.

Cherry
Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 AM

dorismae904, sandwiching the quilt is the hardest part for me too, wondering if your daughter would like to visit me???That is the reason I think I need a LA!!! Have several UFO's but none intended for Christmas gifts. Now that I have retired this year, I am hoping to get some done. I do like the poster idea!!!
Old 12-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I have a ufo that is probably one of the more unusual stories -
I bought Christmas panels to make placemats. They came as a set of 6 designs. Since our family of kids/grandkids was close to 12 in number, I bought 3 sets of panels (18 potential placemats). This was years ago.
I made up the flimsies, and decided to personalize them with individual names on the lower sashing.
The first year, we ate dinner with the unnamed flimsies, covered with clear plastic.
Next year, we ate dinner with the named flimsies, covered with clear plastic.
Third year I adjusted the named flimsies due to changes in family - a daughter separated from husband.
Fourth year I adjusted the named flimsies due to changes in family - a step daughter kicked the boyfriend to the curb.
Fifth year I adjusted the named flimsies as daughter had new partner.
Sixth year I adjusted the named flimsies as someone had another new partner , I forget who!
Seventh year I didn't get the named flimsies out - I was beginning to think I shouldn't ever finish these things!
Eighth year I adjusted the flimsies, quilted them on the longarm but didn't get the binding on.
For 2018, I might actually get the binding on, put them on the table at Christmas and then SEND THEM HOME with the respective families.
I'm tired of seeing these things!
GEMRM, very funny story and I enjoyed it, if 2018 UFO Challenge is established, please come join us.

Cherry
Old 12-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
Yep, I finished 3 quilts for my sisters and one for a friend in rehab. I finished them all on the first 10 days of Dec... my husband was out of town or I would never have gotten them done. Tried to load pictures, but failed. Will have to figure it out.
1screech, when you are able to process pix, please post some in the UFO Challenge thread.

Cherry
Old 12-26-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
Bless your heart, I need to channel your spirit. Get caught up and stay caught up!!
Lol....channel,away...however, I really think it might be the "new quilter syndrome". I get so excited to see a finished quilt that I can stay on track. Ask me in a couple of years if I have UFO's and my answer may be different. 🙂
Old 12-26-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I have a ufo that is probably one of the more unusual stories -
I bought Christmas panels to make placemats. They came as a set of 6 designs. Since our family of kids/grandkids was close to 12 in number, I bought 3 sets of panels (18 potential placemats). This was years ago.
I made up the flimsies, and decided to personalize them with individual names on the lower sashing.
The first year, we ate dinner with the unnamed flimsies, covered with clear plastic.
Next year, we ate dinner with the named flimsies, covered with clear plastic.
Third year I adjusted the named flimsies due to changes in family - a daughter separated from husband.
Fourth year I adjusted the named flimsies due to changes in family - a step daughter kicked the boyfriend to the curb.
Fifth year I adjusted the named flimsies as daughter had new partner.
Sixth year I adjusted the named flimsies as someone had another new partner , I forget who!
Seventh year I didn't get the named flimsies out - I was beginning to think I shouldn't ever finish these things!
Eighth year I adjusted the flimsies, quilted them on the longarm but didn't get the binding on.
For 2018, I might actually get the binding on, put them on the table at Christmas and then SEND THEM HOME with the respective families.
I'm tired of seeing these things!
Hilarious!! ��
Old 12-26-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
WAIT! There's a UFO thread on this board? Where? I sure need it!
Here is the link. Hope you can join or even be the engineer.
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month