Ugh

Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 AM

I just watched an app on smart phone developed by Alex Anderson's SIL that reverse sews stitches on the sewing machine. Go to The Quilt Show and I think it is free but it shows her sewing free motion on machine then she plugs in her smart phone to her sewing maching (if it has aUSB port) and going backwards over the stitches it "un sews" the stitches ! Amazing....
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 AM

We all get (have) to rip. I prefer to look at it backwards as "piecing in reverse". It makes me take time to slow down & appreciate what I have been given. Blessings on your day.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:01 AM

Yes, you will get there! It can happen because you get better that the techniques or you just decide that those few imperfections make it unique and special because you made them. We all strive to make our points perfect, quilting exact and cutting straight but we are human beings who are not perfect. An incorrect breath when cutting or stitching can make a little error that often no one sees except us. Keep quilting and enjoy learning the skills you need to know to do the kind of quilting you enjoy.

Even experienced quilters make mistakes and put in a block side-ways or mess up points now and again. We have seen those postings on the Board. Give yourself some grace and don't lose the joy of the colors, patterns and process. Could it be that you are being too hard on yourself? Chin up and move ahead with a smile.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Puttergeo View Post
Will I ever get to the point when I don't rip out as much as I sew???? And I'm definitely not inexperienced, either!
Just think of it as "continuing education". We all need a little refresher course once in a while. lol No matter how long you quilt or sew, you are going to have those days.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 AM

I find I am tired, physically or mentally. So I just stop and start again tomorrow. I also, try very hard not to have deadlines, did too many of those when I was working!!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Will I am not sure I will ever get to a point that I do not have to rip, but I sure am getting good at it!!!!LOL

Come on now, I thought I was the BEST "ripper outer" there was !!!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM

I have come to the conclusion that unsewing is as much a part of quilting as sewing I gave in to this conclusion and bought a seam ripper that has a nice large handle and is easier to hold. It's a nice bright color so I can't lose it and the handle is rubber and not perfectly round so it doesn't roll off my machine. I have yet to step up to the one with the light and magnifier.....but I know it is available. The tools make even the task of unsewing easier. (You noticed that I didn't say more pleasant and not frustrating.)
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Goodness me!I suppose I ever get to the point where everything is so perfect and I don't need to 'reverse sew' I will think I have nothing left to learn. Be gentle on yourself, I had a conversation with my grandson today regarding ' buying ' or making , you can guess where the sides were. I tried to explain to him that maybe some day we would all need to go back to 'making'. He has such imagination and I think he saw the truth of what I was saying.What we make will possibly have many imperfections, but at least it will be unique.Enjoy what ever your skill is, I'm sure it gives much pleasure. Love Letty
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM

There is nothing worse than ruining the relief you feel when you think you've finished a project, only to see something missewn. I understand! It comes with the territory.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM

I too am an experienced ripper outer so I can relate! I have been sewing since I was 10 and at 52 (almost 53) I still have days when I rip out more than I leave. Some days I have to walk away from whatever I am working on and do it another day to preserve my sanity!! lol