Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ugly quilts >

Ugly quilts

Ugly quilts

Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 AM

I have seen ugly quilts. I have even made a few. One of the ones I thought was the worst, we actually sold. So someone liked it.

I agree about the afghans in hideous colors. So much work, why not make the colors nice ones?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM

I love quilting, every part of it, but there have been a couple in my 40 years of quilting that I would not want anyone to see.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM

I don't buy ugly fabrics, so I don't think I could make an ugly quilt, but I may be wrong! I think it must be with the ugly fabric choices, but I have read here about fabric shrinking at different rates, poor piecing and poor quilting that made ugly quilts. Also, with pairing up fabrics that don't go together, like a dark green, orange and pink, just off the top of my head. But those combinations may be pretty to someone!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM

I think this would be a very worthy cherity, take all the ugly scraps you have even mix cotton, flannel etc and put them together in a wild way and a ugly quilt is born then take them to someplace where the homeless hang out. In my case there is a place right on the corner where I turn to come to work and I'll bet those people would love them. Makes me sad for them every day. Let's post pictures and see who wins and the winner could win a nice fat quarter or something like thatfrom each participate and make another quilt.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM

At the church I used to belong to, when a couple was getting married all of us girls would each make blocks and put together a nice quilt for them. For one of the weddings, it was decided the men should make a quilt for the groom, who is a ferrier and blacksmith. The guys were amazingly creative...I wish I had a picture of it. It had everything from burlap and leather to horseshoes and barbed wire on it, and got a great laugh at their wedding dinner!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM

I can see the point of making them not so beautiful do to them getting taken by others; it would be sort of fun to make one not beautiful, but definatly warm and lovable.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I belong to a group that makes quilts for Lutheran World Relief and boy, are some of our quilts UgLy! They're made from whatever anybody has ever given to the group in the way of textiles. Use your imagination and you won't be far off.

At one point, I wrote to LWR to ask them what their guidelines for quilts were and I will share with you the lovely response I received from them:

"As far as looks, we believe that every quilt is beautiful in its own way because of what it does for another person. It's our/your way of wrapping God's loving arms around someone in need and what's more beautiful than that?"
Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM

As the good Lord would say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and He always thinks we are beautiful and doing the work of our hands unto Him, it always turns out beautiful.

I know I have made some wrong fabric choices that turned out to me to be not so "pretty", but as you have all said, someone else thought it to be beautiful. We have a gal at our group that seems to think everything has to match perfectly, including the back. Then there is another who uses what she has, always seems to look wonderful, and uses muslin on the back.

So glad there is a variety of us all to enjoy our wonderful works.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM

I have been making ugly quilts for the homeless for 8 years now. May they do it in your area
Old 03-07-2012, 04:51 AM

I have a quilt I have referred to as 'the ugly quilt' since I started it. It was a BOM and I hated the colors. The quilt itself is okay with the blocks... it is just the colors. I have had a real hard time working on it, and have gotten down to the end. I have to iron it, layer it, and I am going to tie it so it gets done in a hurry. My SO loves it, so it is his. The hard part is the darn thing is a king-sized quilt... lots of fabric to look at when I hate working in browns!