Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-oh.. what now??? >

Uh-oh.. what now???

Uh-oh.. what now???

Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 AM

Maybe you local quilt shop could fix you up with a new found friend who would be willing to show you how to prepare for the quilting process. There are some steps and/or tricks that you need to learn in what ever method you choose. For example, if you ever send out a quilt top to be quilted by a long arm quilter, your batting and backing should be 4" bigger on all sides as the quilting process could eat up an inch or so depending on the amount of quilting.

My first quilts my mom taught me the flip over from the back to finish them. The way mom taught me was if you wanted a 2" binding you need 4" of material from the back as you would double the binding. Also, with this method make sure that you put the cutting mat between the backing and batting when squaring up the top and batting otherwise you will cut the backing off. Ask me how I learned this lesson. When making a quilt that will be used and abused with love, I recommend folding over from the back method or machine sewing the binding. If the quilt is going to be a heirloom quilt you should always use binding sewn on the front and then hand sew on the back. I still have not done that yet, but in the near future I will have to learn how to hand sew binding.

Basting the quilt top, batting, and backing is extremely important. If you are going to pin, you need to place a pin every 3 to 4 inches apart. I can't help you with hand basting with a tread and needle as I never have done that. If you choose to spray baste, I would recommend outside if possiable. If spray basting indoors you need to be extra careful and cover everything near where you are working as the over spray will stick everywhere. Also, make sure you have plenty of ventilation as the fumes will over power you. Another thing I learned, the hard way, is that spray basting requires very little; a little goes a long way is a good rule to remember. If you spray a lot, it make the fabric pucker and you will get puckers. Again, ask me how I learned that lesson. I also used pins every 15" or so to make sure things didn't shift.
also, quilt from the center and work your way out if doing by hand or domestic machine. Long arms have their own set of guidelines.

I would search YouTube for tutorials as there is a vast amount of help from videos. By the look of things you are going to be a pro in no time at all. Good job!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM

The pillowcasing or enveloping technique is the easiest method that waas described then you can quilt tit afterwards. Use this method for my preemie quilts.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 AM

for a beginning quilter, the pillowcase method will be the easiest and fastest.....it will allow you to do very minimal quilting after it is turned right side out, or simply tied if you prefer......whichever you decide, please don't hesitate to ask us any questions.....there will be many of us who will give you the answers you need to make a beautiful quilt......and by the time you are done, you will be addicted to quilting!....have fun making your quilt!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM

I've just done several baby panels this way. When done with front & back from flannel, I didn't use batting at all. after the quilt was turned right side out, I buttonhole stitched (by machine) around the figures to make it look like applique . If you don't have a buttonhole stitch, you could use a fine zigzag to achieve the result. The stitching around the pictures is all the quilting that was needed
Old 03-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I agree that YouTube is the way to go. I also like the idea of doing the pillowcase method. For a small quilt, it's very fast and looks great!! Be proud of yourself. You made this quilt on your own. Now, start using this site and finding out everything about quilting. I've learned so much here. Also, if you type in "Jenny Doan" on YouTube, a lot comes up. She's my hero. She teaches the "easy" way to piece fabric. Her tricks are wonderful. She's the queen of making blocks the easy way. Good luck. Very nice quilt!!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Lots of great advice. I will add a "learned the hard way" pearl. If you do a separate binding, strips cut on the straight of the grain will cause you unimaginable grief. I like the "pillow case" idea.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM

I am a beginner also and the best help comes from this group.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM

I used to bring the back up to finish a quilt, but I like the bindings a lot better. They look neater and will make your quilt look nicer. I have made both bias bindings, and straight ones. I like the bias bindings the best, they seem to lay a little flatter. After the quilting is done, I like to square up the corners and trim so the border is the same all the way around the quilt. I also get better results if I zigzag around the edges first, before I put on a binding. I also use a walking foot.

Last edited by par4theday; 03-11-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM

When I'm at my mom's house I use her serger and serge the quilt before I put the binding on. It holds all the layers together making it easier to get the binding full and to sew on the binding.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm interested in trying the pillowcase method but worried that if I do the actual quilting once it's done, that it will distort the whole thing. I thought I should quilt first, then use the pillowcase method....but then the quilting wouldn't include the back piece, would it? Oh, dear.... I'm off to hunt some YouTube videos.

Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice.