Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
uneven quilt >

uneven quilt

uneven quilt

Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 PM

My first log cabin was very wonky and I didn't have a clue how to fix it. My friend sent me a picture of a designed on purpose wonky log cabin the resembled mine. I felt better. Luckily I had enough fabric left over to make another one. This time it turned out better and I really learned alot in the process.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM

If it is so much work to take it out that you'll get discouraged, then it will become a UFO. If that is the case, add some extra borders & turn it into a lap quilt! Then make another wall hanging! I bet whatever you do it will be great.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM

I agree with Dublb. Make a lap quilt out of it and it will never be noticed. It will keep someone warm and cozy.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 PM

okay, two solutions to what was problem one or two causes.... if you sewed every row from the same end, it will automatically get wonky (turn into a parallelogram)... easy fix, sew one column from top to bottom and then the next from bottom to top... so tearing apart (if that is how you sewed it) and resewing is quite possible all you need.... you can check by measuring your squares... if they are real close to being even sizes and a good square, then this is all you need...

second solution without taking apart... take a border of 5 or 6 inches (or wider if you need it, depending on how crooked the parallelogram is), make a wedge out of it, cutting diagonally from one corner to the other, rotate one half and put on the bottom, put the other half on the top... now do the same thing again on the sides... you will have a log cabin with wedge shaped borders tilting the entire thing and disguising the 'wonkieness'....

ps...make sure you sew alternate rows and columns from opposite ends in the future...
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
okay, two solutions to what was problem one or two causes.... if you sewed every row from the same end, it will automatically get wonky (turn into a parallelogram)... easy fix, sew one column from top to bottom and then the next from bottom to top... so tearing apart (if that is how you sewed it) and resewing is quite possible all you need.... you can check by measuring your squares... if they are real close to being even sizes and a good square, then this is all you need...

second solution without taking apart... take a border of 5 or 6 inches (or wider if you need it, depending on how crooked the parallelogram is), make a wedge out of it, cutting diagonally from one corner to the other, rotate one half and put on the bottom, put the other half on the top... now do the same thing again on the sides... you will have a log cabin with wedge shaped borders tilting the entire thing and disguising the 'wonkieness'....

ps...make sure you sew alternate rows and columns from opposite ends in the future...
I love your idea of wedges for borders--never in the world would have thought about that. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by moreland View Post
I love your idea of wedges for borders--never in the world would have thought about that. Thanks for sharing.
unfortunately, i have learned this the hard way... there was a flurry of interest in this 'style' a few years ago, but it is such an easy fix for wonky blocks, wonky tops, OR and those occasiona where we have 20 different orphan blocks or 20 different blocks made by 20 different people that are different sizes...it is an excellent camoflage.