Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting >

Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting

Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting

Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 PM

you also need to contact the company that made the batting. That happened to me when I was hand quilting, the package even said great for hand quilting so I emailed the company and they sent me a huge box with 1 package of every batting they sold.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 PM
mac

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
was it generic? Some years ago I bought a few yards of JoAnn's generic warm and natural off the roll, it looked and felt identical, but in use it was a whole different batt.

Crazy the quilter didn't stop but rather kept on...and so fortunate there were willing hands to unstitch.

If it was generic the title of the thread should be changed...
My friend bought the 'warm and natural' off a big roll. Since she asked for Warm and Natural, I am going to assume that is what she got and not a generic.

Re: the professional quilter quilting the whole quilt stopping when she discovered the problem was a question that the "reverse quilting" gang kept asking. She said nothing like that had ever happened before and she was as gobsmacked as we were.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:54 AM

So happy to have this information about the right and wrong side of W&N. I never knew this. Who knows how I have been using it but as I don't long arm quilt it may not make that much difference. Regardless, I will now do it the "right" way!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 AM

I am not fond of warm and natural or warm and white batting. Every time I use it on my arm it beards on the back.
I don't have this trouble with other battings.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I haven't use W&N very much. I use and prefer poly batting. I quilt on DSM only.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 AM

I'm glad the story has a happy ending. However, I do not understand why the quilter would just keep going when the results were obviously poor. She had to know something was wrong when changing needles didn't help. It seems like there should have been conversation at this point!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:22 AM

Interesting...sounds like the batting felt bumpy inside the quilt though, so that's not just from it being wrong side up.

I've used W&N several times, and I never have paid attention to which side is "up", and never had any bearding problems. Just lucky, maybe? Or maybe it has to do with a longarm's speed? My DSM only goes 1,000 spm, I think longarm machines can go faster than that(??) I've also used the Pellon "Nature's Touch" batting from Joann's that's usually really cheap and it's fine - very similar to W&N. They often go on sale for $14 for a queen size and who can beat that? It's really good for lightweight throws where I don't want a lot of heft but still want cotton.

I like how far apart I can quilt with W&N. I don't usually go that far apart but it's nice not to worry about it.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tatteredgarden View Post
I am not fond of warm and natural or warm and white batting. Every time I use it on my arm it beards on the back.
I don't have this trouble with other battings.

I use w&n on all my quilts and I longarm them. Here's my mantra: Eyes Up!! No bearding!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 AM

If there is a right and wrong way of placing your batting, why doesn't W & N company have BIG LETTERS on the cover to tell you that!!!!!!!!!! I have never heard of this....glad it was posted. Someone who has had a bad experience with it should call the W&N company and tell them they need to put a warning on their packaging...
Old 03-17-2015, 05:40 AM

Wow feline fanatic a big THANK-YOU for posting a visual here! I never knew there was a right side or wrong side to W&N!

I did notice the difference but had no idea that it could cause problems. I don't do my own quilting always send out my large quilts. However have done wall hangings and table toppers on my DM I guess I've always had the batting placed properly.

I'm making a copy of the visual and placing it above my cutting table to always remind me there is a right and wrong side to this batting.