Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unplugging an iron >

Unplugging an iron

Unplugging an iron

Old 12-14-2014, 04:49 AM

Hmmmm. I guess I better go unplug my coffeemaker!
What about washing machine, I can't reach that one.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 AM

Our electric service is terrible. We lose power at least once every couple days and have a lot of power surges. I noticed the more surges we have the quicker light bulbs burn out. We installed a whole house surge protector but I still unplug most things when they aren't in use.

ETA: Besides, it gives me a little extra excercise to bend down to unplug them and I can use the little extra...

Last edited by dog mama; 12-14-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:31 AM

Simply because of the poor layout of my half finished basement, all my machines and iron are on power bars which I turn off when I leave.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:09 AM

I have an auto shut off iron which I really like. I know a lot don't like them. I am always afraid I will forget to turn the iron off and unplug it when I am finished for the day. I don't necessarily get time to sew every day so if I would forget to unplug and turn it off it could be on for days. Also my sewing room is next to my DS bedroom and I have taught him to look in there as he goes past it. WHen it is dark it is really easy to see the red flashing light. It just makes me feel safer. I also installed a smoke detector in there just for safety.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 AM

I also unplug. Sleep better knowing it isn't plugged in
Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 View Post
like Microwaves ( if you are going to be gone for more than 1 day,...
About 10 or more years ago, we bought a new microwave. Then, about 4 months later, we went on an extended trip: 3 or 4 weeks. When I came back I plugged the microwave back in, and the LED display did not all come back. It has never come back except for one day: on Christmas Eve. Go figure! I still use it, but have to be careful to press Clear before I start something in case there may be minutes on it yet from the last use.

And BrendaK, there is no power going through an extension cord that has nothing plugged into it; anymore than there is power going through the outlet that it is plugged into. The two wires inside have to touch to make the power flow. So, don't worry about an extension cord that has nothing in it. The only danger would be if a child picked up the end and put it in his mouth. So if you have small children (or animals that chew) this may be something to think about.

Last edited by maviskw; 12-14-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by patinvt View Post
If you turn your iron off, do you have to unplug when you are done?
I always unplug mine when I have finished for the day, as I do the toaster, and coffee pot, never can trust the off switch to not short out. fire can be an ugly thing. Merry Christmas
Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM

I always unplug mine because sometimes I forget to turn it off...getting old is for the birds.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I rarely unplug everyday. When I travel I turn off the breaker to my sewing room.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:08 PM

My rule of thumb is to unplug everything I value, everything that is important to me, expensive and that I could not afford to replace. Most of the fire hazard items are electronics. I do unplug everything but the refrigerator, washer and dryer. Those items are not fun, hobby, joyous things. I can send laundry out and eat out. LOL.