Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool backing is that possible? >

Wool backing is that possible?

Wool backing is that possible?

Old 12-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Default Wool backing is that possible?

Hello everyone! My boyfriend asked me if I could make him a quilt but use wool as the backing. I was thinking flannel for the top and just attach to wool and bind not batting. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not good at coming up with ideas so please help
Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Wool backing might be scratchy and can also shrink if not laundered properly. Some people like to use fleece for backing with no batt.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:20 AM

I used wool batting in one of my quilts and it is lovely..
Old 12-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I bought in the 70s a wool quilt with squares tied at a farm auction in Kansas. I kept it in the car when I was living temporarily back east to keep warm when turnpikes were closed down due to snow. It was scratchy but kept me warm. I would either use fleece or wool batting which is much more practical. This quilt weight was very heavy but it did keep me warm during some nasty snow storms.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 AM

I tried to tell him that but he said no he wants it has the backing. I guess his dad finds them at thrift stores and what not.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Are you sure he didn't mean batting and not backing? There are many very nice washable wool battings on the market. I would be hesitant to use a wool backing for the reasons Tartan stated. Also it would be extremely cost prohibitive. Average price of wool fabric is in excess of $20 per yard (although it can be found cheaper on the net)

I can also confirm the scratchy. I used an old wool army blanket for batting on a quilt and even with 100% cotton fabric covering it, the scratchy still comes through. I can only use this quilt when it is layered on top of other quilts and blankets or have it hanging on a wall. Wool batting is not scratchy like a wool blanket or like regular woven wool fabric can be and it won't shrink or felt with washing.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

So his Dad wants you to use up thrifted wool blankets? I would use two wool blankets the same size and put them together. Machine quilt them together in a large grid pattern or use yarn ties to put then together. Unless the edges are frayed, I would not even put binding on but just machine stitch the edges together. It will make a sturdy, warm utility car quilt and if washed, the whole thing will shrink at the same rate. Make one and see how it goes but I wouldn't waste a lovely cotton quilt top on this trial run.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 AM

I did a wool-blend quilt with a pieced wool-blend top, wool batting, and wool-blend backing. It's very warm! I also did a second, substituting flannel for the backing. Both were tied. The flannel one is not itchy--the other is a bit, but only on bare skin, not through clothing or sleepwear.

The wool-blend was on sale (3.00 per yard), which is why I went with it. I washed it twice before cutting in very hot water and dried it very hot to check if it would go all wonky, but it didn't. I think I'd do the same with thrifted wool blankets.

I think your flannel/wool idea is a good one. If he finds it itchy, he could always turn it over!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:00 AM

Maybe you need to look at exactly what dad is finding at the thrift stores, so you have a better idea of what he wants.

Wool comes in different forms. I live near a Pendleton factory and I buy mill ends and seconds there all the time. They make lovely suit-weight wool that would be wonderful for a back - lightweight, warm, and not scratchy at all. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a backing.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I've picked up coats and suits made out of wool from the different thrift stores and use those for backing. Most I've paid was $15 for a big&tall men's suit. I brought it home and washed in warm water and tossed in warm dryer. Turned out great. Then deboned it. I wanted to save the lining from the jacket.