Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unplugging an iron >

Unplugging an iron

Unplugging an iron

Old 12-13-2014, 06:33 PM

I always unplug it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:38 PM

I always unplug my irons when not in use. As well as my expensive embroidery machine.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:24 PM

Yes, I unplug. I like the idea of a power strip too.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM

I unplug my machine at the machine too. I put the plug through a binder clip and clipped it to my table near where it plugs in so I can find it easily.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Power Poster

I also unplug but I do have a question. I sew at the kitchen table. I have an extension cord that runs under the table to the outlet. In front of the outlet is a cart. My machine and iron gets plugged into the extension cord when I iron or sew. When I am finished I unplug both the iron and the cord from the sewing machine and the extension cord, but the extension cord is still plug into the outlet. There is nothing sitting on the cord. Should I unplug the extension cord from the outlet? Even though nothing is plugged into the extension cord the cord in still plugged into the outlet. Thanks for any thoughts. BrendaK

Last edited by BrendaK; 12-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl View Post
I have to think about this...I use surge protectors..expensive ones rated for high capacity, but.....

"I know that lightning can follow wires even if the switches are off"
....isn't this true of ANY electrical product...I don't unplug my fridge, my washer, my humidifier, my lamps...where lies the difference?
I think you are making a correct assumption. I see a lot of people unplug almost everything. But my computerized sewing machine is precious to me, and I think is very touchy. Other things are not quite so expensive to replace either. We have our TV and everything connected to it plugged into outlets that are controlled by a light switch on the other side of the room. I suppose that should be unplugged too, but we never do.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:36 AM

Only because I don't want coal in my stocking from Santa Claus I will tell the truth. I turn my sewing machine off when I am not using it - I do not unplug it. I have my iron on the top of my sewing table. It turns off automatically - I do not unplug it. But, I do have a power strip and when I bring my machine out again after the holidays, please rest assured that I will use my foot and turn off the power strip. 99% of the time I do not keep my head on straight. My brain totally multi-tasks on its own and I have no control of it, unless I write things down to be sure to remember. I can also put a plastic label (from my label making machine) and paste it onto the sewing machine "HIT THE POWER STRIP"!!!!! Then I will be reminded. Thanks for reminding me, which reminds me, I have to iron a piece of batik I am giving my friend for Christmas. See, that's exactly what I am talking about - then I'll let the iron turn itself off and I'll be rolling peanut butter cookies five minutes later. I guess I should be grateful the old grey matter is still working, eh?

Have a great day!!! Edie
Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 AM

I recently bought a three plug adapter to plug into the outlet....and this has an on/off switch. When finished just turn the adapter off and everything will be disconnected.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I'm an unplugger, too. I have a cheap dollar store stretch kids bracelet that sits on my ironing board. When the iron gets plugged in, the bracelet goes on. That way I never forget to unplug it.
Thats really clever! I turn my cutting table light in befor I turn my iron on, then turn my iron off and unplug it before I turn the light off, but I might follow your suggestion too. The older I get, the more forgetful and preoccupied I get.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:41 AM

WE took a Fire Safety Class several years ago ( free Dinner) and they Highly Recommend unplugging most every thing... especially Coffeemakers, Irons, other Kitchen appliances like Microwaves ( if you are going to be gone for more than 1 day, Hair Dryers and Curling Irons, most everything should be plugged into surge strips, and never leave extension Cords plugged in.. like a previous post- the power is still going through the cords... I unplug the Sewing machine if we are going away too. Be Safe, Better to take a few min. plugging everything back in...