Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unthreading Your Sewing Machine TIP >

Unthreading Your Sewing Machine TIP

Unthreading Your Sewing Machine TIP

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM

I just recently learned this from my baby lock dealer... had no idea!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
So how does the machine manage to sew in reverse??

I've unthreaded a wide variety of sewing machines in the many decades since I first learned to use one. In fact, I've never once cut the thread and pulled it from the bottom. The tension only gets "messed up" if you pull backwards on the discs when they are engaged...in other words, when the foot is down. If the foot is not down at the time, it doesn't matter if you unthread your machine frontwards, backwards or sideways.
In about a thousand years of sewing I've done it this way, too; just pulled the spool off and the thread out, have never cut the thread. I've never had any tension problems on any of my machines. But as ghostrider says, I've always done it when the foot was up. I think it would be impossible to do it that way with the foot down, anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
Did you know there is a right way and a wrong way to take the thread out of your sewing machine? My brother - in - law was in the garment industry as a sewing machine repairman for over 40 years and he just told me this. To take your spool of thread off of your machine, cut it off at the spool and then pull the thread out from the needle. You should never pull the thread out in the opposite direction that it is threaded. I never knew this!
Hi bizzibee, thanks for that, it is always a good idea to lift the foot also.Letty
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM

the Flywheel does NOT go in reverse when you backstitch. Check your machine.....I did.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Watson58 View Post

the Flywheel does NOT go in reverse when you backstitch. Check your machine.....I did.
That was a purely rhetorical question on my part in response to what a poster prior to me said about the BELTS not going backwards.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Some machines, not Singers, the handwheel does move away from the sewer and not towards the sewer.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by paperprincess View Post
i've sewn for 50+ years and have always cut the thread at the spool and pulled forward. Want to know why? 'cause my mom told me to!

lol. :d
Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
Did you know there is a right way and a wrong way to take the thread out of your sewing machine? My brother - in - law was in the garment industry as a sewing machine repairman for over 40 years and he just told me this. To take your spool of thread off of your machine, cut it off at the spool and then pull the thread out from the needle. You should never pull the thread out in the opposite direction that it is threaded. I never knew this!
I always tie in a new color and pull through to the needle. I don't want to rethread the machine every time I change colors when doing applique. Plus that halogen light is right there and very hot!