Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on which sashing and thread applique color quilt... >

Update on which sashing and thread applique color quilt...

Update on which sashing and thread applique color quilt...

Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by abc123retired
Nice job on the sashing! It adds alot to the quilt. Next time? Consider putting the plaid cornerstones on the bias, IMHO it would have added interest. I think it needs borders and will be one terrific quilt.
I don't know how to put plaid cornerstones on the bias...I learned to hand piece and quilt from my nanny (grandma) when I was a little girl...fast forward 35+ years...I was going through things I had inherited, came across some quilt tops, and squares, etc...there were some Sunbonnet Sue squares, made with fabrics that my nanny had made clothes out of for my mom, and me...so, I looked at the squares, drew off the templates, and made more squares to have enough for a lap quilt for my mom, and 1 for me...then, I bought some quilt magazines, and taught myself how to applique, piece, etc...still by hand...so, this is my 1st applique quilt I have done by machine...and I am also self-taught on the sashings, borders, and bindings...with the help of some books and magazines...so, that is why I don't know how to do cornerstones on the bias...but, I will try and look it up, and keep it in mind for future quilts...thanks for the help!! :-)
Kif
Old 09-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks to all of you, coming through for me once again! I haven't added anything else yet, as can't decide between the blue or the red...now I am even wondering about maybe a small red border, then another bit of the plaid, and then the blue, then bind off with the yellow...So, I am going to look it all over tonight, maybe flip a coin, and get it finished! Thanks again to all of your for taking the time to help me out...
K
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
I like the red. I like the blue, too.

What about a 1" red border with the blue, then yellow binding.

If that is too much work, what about red border, then inset a 1/4" blue piping as you add the binding?

...I've seen that done somewhere, but could not find it on youtube. It might be an inset between 2 borders, or between quilt & border. Sorry, not sure.

I love your plaid!!! You did a lovely job lining it all up. (Your kiddo will never notice your intersections.) Your quilt is totally adorable. :thumbup: :)
I don't know how to do piping..? It sounds like it would look great, though...it will be another technique I need to learn...this is the 1st applique quilt I have done by machine...and I am self taught (with books, and computer info) on sashings, borders, bindings...as a matter of fact, I only knew how to do the fold over the backing type of binding until my last quilt group meeting...one of my gals there showed me hot to make a binding
:shock: ...thanks for all the suggestions! As I always say, this is a great group of people here on the board!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM

The quilt is darling. Lucky little boy. Really, any of your choices would be wonderful.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM

You just cut a 3/4" or 1" strip of fabric, press it in half. sew it between units while you are attaching them to each other. The edges would line up with the other seam edges. Sew them all the same time.

I'll look back tomorrow for your finished pix. :)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM

I vote for red border with yellow binding...
I Like Bright!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Just sooo cute.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:48 AM

I personally am a blue fan so the blue boarder works for me. Looks great! :)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 AM

I like the green, and when you quilt it, you might want to use your coloring book and trace some trucks/cars etc. and quilt those into the solid green area.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I like the red border with the yellow orange binding.
me too