Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Upgrade to EQ7-- Do I or don't I?? >

Upgrade to EQ7-- Do I or don't I??

Upgrade to EQ7-- Do I or don't I??

Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by fabric-holic
Originally Posted by grammypatty7
----Just my opinion, if you're not fond of EQ6, 7 may not be for you.
Yes I agree. You must have missed my earlier post where I said I've decided not to buy the upgrade at this time. I'll wait a while and find out how people like it.
After sending off my reply, you decision was in the next email I received. Such software truly isn't for everyone it seems.
I just don't have the "grey cells" needed anymore to learn it. Although I have "EQ envy" whenever I see someone on TV or YouTube whizzing through it and making a pattern so quickly.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 AM

I have eq5 never had the money to update to 6 and now def not for 7. I use the 5 all the time. good luck to all that can afford it.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM

Yes I am still trying to use EQ5
Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM

I would buy it and find an EQ hands-on class to take.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:51 PM

I got the EQ 6 when it came out (Valentine present from hubby) and loved it from the start, and I don't use it to Any of its potential.

I mainly use it to put in simple blocks and then it figures out the fabric I need. That is great for me - love this feature the best.

Then I also use it to see what colors look like. I've even scanned my fabric into the program (so you know that is easy if I do it) and then you really see what the finished item will look like.

It even prints out patterns (with numbers) for paper piecing, which is great.

I did do the pre-order to upgrade to EQ7. Can't wait to get it.

Just think maybe I will actually go thru the new manual and actually start using the program like it should be used. Even with the minimal way I use it, it is great to take a printed pattern with fabric required to the store.

Karen
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM

I had just had EQ6 a few days when I got to attend the monthly EQ users group meeting. They were planning to work on designing tags for the back of quilts but of course since I had only accomplished lesson 1, I wasn't ready for anything like that at all. They discussed not doing the project since I couldn't participate and I insisted they go ahead and even though it was way over my head, I guaranteed that I would have it. I had half an hours time to waste before a hair appointment so my computer and I stayed at the rec center and I played with EQ 6 and by the time I left, I had accomplished the quilt tag that is attached. I printed it off on printer fabric this morning and have set the ink and it's now ready for me sew on the back of my husband's quilt. He was really excited when I showed it to him tonight. Tomorrow I'm taking it to show and tell at my 2nd EQ Users meeting as I want them to see what I had accomplished before I even left the building last meeting. To get it so I could show it here, I had to export and save it as a .jpg file. Actually I opened the file in paint shop pro X to print it as I'm not good with figuring out the sizing and placement in EQ to print it and sure don't want it printing out in the middle of the fabric. I printed it out on the bottom half so I have enough edge to fold all the way around and will hand stitch in place on the quilt. Just sharing. I'm really very impressed with EQ6.

First EQ6 creation - tag for quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76391[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76386.jpe  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 PM

the thing that helped me the most on working through the lessons was getting the book spiral bound so it would lie flat!!
I did order the upgrade and will have that spiral bound also. I do this to all books I need to work out of. It saves time and frustration.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by elizabeth
the thing that helped me the most on working through the lessons was getting the book spiral bound so it would lie flat!!
I did order the upgrade and will have that spiral bound also. I do this to all books I need to work out of. It saves time and frustration.
What a good idea. Where did you go to have that done. This book does not like to lie flat and I have clips all over the place holding it open. Thank you for a great tip.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 PM

I had it done at an Office Max type place. It cost me about 5.00 for the manual and the simplified lesson book.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Have you guys done the lessons in the book or just tried it on your own? I got soooo discouraged at myself when I just started playing with it without doing the lessons. Finally decided, OK if I want to use this, bite the bullet and do the lessons. They have been soooo useful. Then I re-watched some of the videos and its really all coming together. Also, if you have anything that you can't figure out, you can call EQ and they'll assist you.

I went and pre-ordered EQ7. Some of what the new enhancements are were too much for me to pass up!!! Its suppose to be easier than EQ6, as was EQ6 is easier than EQ5.

Have I made you more confused!!! :? Sorry! :-D :-D
The one I have is EQ5. I did the lessons and keep the book handy for quick reference. If you don't use it very often it is easy to forget all of the great features. I also think that EQ7 has too many new enhancements to pass up.