Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
upholstery fabric for quilts? >

upholstery fabric for quilts?

upholstery fabric for quilts?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I have made several quilts with upholstery fabrics. Two of them are currently used as throw rugs, two more are on sofas. I recommend sewing with a larger seam allowance, since this fabric seems to fray more easily than quilting cotton. As others said, be sure to pre-wash.

Edited to add: I use corduroy, mixed with flannel, in rag quilts. It frays beautifully. Again, I recommend a larger than usual seam allowance.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM

I am in agreement with other posters... wash it first and see what happens. You mentioned some pieces were linen... are you sure these are linen?. Upholstery Viscose /Cotton blends are used to look and feel like linen... but when you wash it (even hand wash) it shrinks and can have a slight colour change.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 PM

I had at one time, a lot of upholstery fabric samples in good size pieces. The ones that were too thick for quilts made great pillows and potholders.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:20 PM

I use upholstery fabric in weighted quilts. No batting and 1/2" seams. I've also used it in dog quilts too. My great grandmother made upholstery quilts 50 - 60 years ago .... they lasted forever.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I have not used any upholstery fabrics for anything. I would suggest using a smaller stitch with a larger seam allowance. Having a looser weave I think it would fray more.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM

Great advice above. I have used heavy upholstery fabric in utility quilts. But I really like to use it on tote bags as it is really sturdy.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 PM

We are using this type for walker bags for nursing homes. Those making "Ugly Quilts" for homeless can use it.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I had wondered about washing some and seeing the end results, will do that for sure now, thanks ladies. There were also some corduroy pieces and seer sucker...anything I can do w/those? Is seer sucker too loose of a weave for quilts?
i recycled corduroy slacks into a quilt with flannel backing. I used fairly good sized squares so fewer seams and then tied it. It’s rather heavy but very warm and snuggly. It’s about throw size and I love it in the fall just at the bottom of the bed to either warm my feet or to pull up if needed. I haven’t used seersucker but it might work up cute in baby/toddler quilts.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by HettyB View Post
I am in agreement with other posters... wash it first and see what happens. You mentioned some pieces were linen... are you sure these are linen?. Upholstery Viscose /Cotton blends are used to look and feel like linen... but when you wash it (even hand wash) it shrinks and can have a slight colour change.
No I'm not sure if it's linen it just looks like it. Guess I can just wash some and see what happens. Since it was given to me I'm not afraid of ruining some pieces to see how this stuff behaves. Almost every piece is yards not just scraps so I have plenty to "play" with. I have 13 boxes stuffed full of fabric, not small boxes either.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM

My grandmother had a corduroy patchwork quilt she'd made - corduroy patches on the front and really soft velour on the back that was brought around as the binding. I loved that quilt in the winter - so heavy and warm and cozy! My sister and I would fight over who got to use it - grandma often had to get out a timer to stop arguments over whose turn it was, because if we tried to share we'd get into a kicking fight under the quilt. (My poor grandma, lol)

I haven't thought of that quilt in years! Now I want to make one...and then tease my sister with it. LOL