Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
upholstery fabric for quilts? >

upholstery fabric for quilts?

upholstery fabric for quilts?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:45 AM

Here are some pictures...
The boxes: [ATTACH=CONFIG]584549[/ATTACH]
Garment fabric:[ATTACH=CONFIG]584550[/ATTACH]
Corduroy (colors are wrong, these are red and green):[ATTACH=CONFIG]584551[/ATTACH]
What I think are linens:[ATTACH=CONFIG]584552[/ATTACH]
Upholstery fabric:[ATTACH=CONFIG]584553[/ATTACH]
Selvage on above fabric, notice it says Teflon:[ATTACH=CONFIG]584554[/ATTACH]
And a neat panel: [ATTACH=CONFIG]584555[/ATTACH]
The red part at the bottom has signs that say "I live here" or "I went on vacation here" etc. And, the white strip on the right has each state name, the capital, the state flower and state bird which are also pictured on the states on the map. Anyway, I thought is was a pretty neat panel.

These pictures are just a sample of what's in the boxes. The upholstery fabric shown is several yards worth alone. Excuse the deer antlers in the background, someone gave them to our boys.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4009-copy.jpg   100_4010-copy.jpg   100_4012-copy.jpg   100_4011-copy.jpg   100_4014-copy.jpg  

100_4015-copy.jpg   100_4017-copy.jpg  

Last edited by minibarn; 11-30-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-30-2017, 07:51 AM

If nothing else you could use the upholstery fabrics for cushions or pillows for a sofa or chair. I quilted outdoor fabrics for cushions I made for my deck furniture.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 AM

I've got quite a selection and have been using it to make quilted bags - I lay out a section on my LA and quilt it up, then cut out the pieces needed for the bag.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM

enjoy I think the fabrics will be fine
Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM

I'm thinking that what I am calling upholstery might actually be curtain fabric. Either way I think w/what everyone has said I will be able to find stuff to do with most everything I got.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:27 PM

my sibling and i have quilts made with a box of upholstery fabrics that our mom got at a yard sale. She did one large funky shaped piece in the middle of a queen-sized sheet and went from there ending up with crazy quilts that are warm without being too heavy, she did another sheet for the backing but no batting. they are 30 years old and holding up great, mine is on my bed right now
Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Wow! I see some beautiful tote bags and purses in those boxes .... and many quilts. You hit the jackpot!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Lucky you to have been given so many boxes of such a vaiety of fabrics!! There are so many uses for all the different types and textures - many have already been mentioned. Depending on what you make and how often you think it will be washed, it is good to see how it washes for normal use and use a wider seam.

We had a drive to make placemats for Meals on Wheels - needed 258 - Some of our guild members made placemats with the patterned polyester fabrics and seersucker with batting between. Some of the solid colors had machine applique on top for the fronts and polyester ginghams or patterns for the backing and some were done in wide strips/bands of different colors - didn't look bad or shabby.

Another guild member uses plain polyester curtaining material that isn't slippery as a base behind her clam shell quilts and other similar patterns. She sews the pieces to the base in rows and then sews the rows together then adds her batting and backing and then LA quilts them. She says she finds it easier to work with - she coud use muslin but she was given a lot of curtaining yardage and she is using it up.

One guild member who is very artistic used a variety of upholstery fabrics to make a few beautiful art quilts. She created her own designs and they have a variety of textures and colors - wish I had a pic to show! They were very unusual and amazing - she is a talented quilter with lots of creative ideas!!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Looks like a lot of fun to come. I have used pinwale corduroy for backing on kids quilts.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I'm thinking that what I am calling upholstery might actually be curtain fabric. Either way I think w/what everyone has said I will be able to find stuff to do with most everything I got.

Thanks everyone.
It's actually upholstery fabric. It's often used for drapes, but commonly used on the couches and chairs, too. It looks like it's a sateen finish. I'm sure it can be washed, but you will lose some of the sateen finish. I'm wondering if the "Teflon" is a coating to make it more stain resistant.

Edit: I just did a quick search and Dupont did make a Teflon product to make fabrics stain resistant.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-30-2017 at 09:02 PM.