Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
upholstery fabric for quilts? >

upholstery fabric for quilts?

upholstery fabric for quilts?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Default upholstery fabric for quilts?

I was given several boxes of fabric today and there is a lot of upholstery fabric and old clothing fabric in the boxes. Most of the pieces are yards long, not just trimmings. The upholstery fabric is like a heavy cotton type but I did notice that some of them said dry cleaning recommended. So, is it at all possible to use this fabric for quilt tops? The clothing fabric is rather dated but not bad looking, still not something I would want to sew into a quilt for sure, slippery stuff. I will try and get some pics to post. I did find a few pieces that I will keep. There were several linen pieces but a lot of strange colors, not sure what to do w/those either.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I was given some upholstery fabric several years ago. There was a label that said it was cotton, but needed to be dry cleaned. I just tossed it all in the wash. One piece did not survive but the rest came out great. It was thicker than qulting cotton, and I used it for a back on a utility quilt with no problem. Don't see why you couldn't piece with it.
I think dry cleaning was recommended to preserve the finish.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM

I have used upholstery weighted fabric in quilts. I am not usually a prewasher, but this in an exception. When I use any non quilter's cotton fabric I always prewash in the same conditions the quilt will be washed and dried. I also cut and hem a certain size like a 6.5 x 6.5 square and remeasure afterwards for shrinkage. I mostly use them as backs, or lightly pieced (not a lot of seams) backing for applique or log cabin (not a lot of crossing seams)
Old 11-28-2017, 08:22 PM

I had wondered about washing some and seeing the end results, will do that for sure now, thanks ladies. There were also some corduroy pieces and seer sucker...anything I can do w/those? Is seer sucker too loose of a weave for quilts?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 PM

I've used a lot of upholstery fabric for jackets. If its labelled cotton, I wash it. It comes out a bit different than it goes in but in general I like the "after" better. Since you got it for free, I'd try washing some and see if you like it.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:05 PM

Lutheran World Relief has specifications for sewing up school bags so we used upholstery fabric & corduroy for those. LWR also has a list of school supplies so we put a copy of that in each bag & hung them on a rack at church. People could take a bag(s) and return them filled, then the bags were packed for shipment. We also put out a Jar for cash if anyone wanted to help but not actually shop themselves. It feels good to help send a child to school for very little.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM

Using the fabrics for school bags is a great idea tranum, thanks for reminding me of that. We like to make and donate stuff to CAM (Christian Aid Ministries) and they always need school bags. Hanging the completed bags for others to fill is a great idea also, gives those that don't sew a chance to help. And I agree it does feel good to help.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Lutheran World Relief has specifications for sewing up school bags so we used upholstery fabric & corduroy for those. LWR also has a list of school supplies so we put a copy of that in each bag & hung them on a rack at church. People could take a bag(s) and return them filled, then the bags were packed for shipment. We also put out a Jar for cash if anyone wanted to help but not actually shop themselves. It feels good to help send a child to school for very little.
I was also thinking about this organization. My MIL has made quilts for this organization with lots of types of fabrics. These quilts go to lots of unusual places. I know many of her quilts were sent overseas to places where they are needed for super utilitarian needs like making dividers in refugee camps.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM

After washing it and finding which fabrics are okay, you might consider half inch seams.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

i agree with all of the above advice. i sometimes use upholstery fabrics for utility quilts or backs pf wall hangings