Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Upset enough to cry... >

Upset enough to cry...

Upset enough to cry...

Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Check to see if someone you know needs something from dealer, that person sould use the coupons and give you the cash. Its worth a try.
I would hope the dealer would want you to be happy and give you a refund.
Dealers wonder why customer don't return.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

$150 for a Bernina walking foot is the normal price.

The truth is, many sewing machine dealerships will not take returns (and don't even like to do exchanges). I worked in one for awhile, and it was like the one you are describing. What I hated to see were the adults coming in to buy a machine for their Mom for Christmas; if the Mom didn't like that particular machine, it was a problem returning it. If the box wasn't opened, they would exchange for another machine (*never* any refund for a machine!). If the box was open, though, they didn't want to take it back at all (but would take it as a trade-in on a more expensive machine).

I'm not sure why dealerships are set up like this. I do know that it's a pretty marginal business. I have seen a lot of dealerships around here go out of business, but the one I worked at for that short time is still in business.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, I purchased a walking foot for my Bernina (and it was close to $150 even years ago), used it for only a few days, and then accidentally caught a pin on it that I didn't see (this was in the days when I pinned my quilts instead of spray basting). It ruined the spring in the foot. My dh said he could repair it if he could get a replacement spring, but the dealership said it was impossible to order the part. I finally bought another walking foot to replace the broken one, but I waited about a year and purchased it from a different place. (The original was one that did go out of business.)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Ok, I understand about a deposit being non-refundable. What I don't understand is an item like a walking foot, which as far as I know would not be a special order item, not being returnable, as it is not something that they are going to have a hard time selling.

If it were a custom item that would be different, but you just got a normal item that is part of their regular inventory, right?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Sounds like poor repeat business practices to me. I'd take a copy of our comments the next time you're are near the store to let them know how we feel as a community against poor business issues :)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Poor business practices.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Can you buy a free motion foot? Or quarter inch foot? Or other toy for the machine? And if you still have the 2nd walking foot, maybe you could sell it. You'll probably still take a loss, but it's better than not getting anything (or getting silly scripts)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Prism, how could I get my walking foot for less than 50.00??
It's a Bernina dealership where I bought my machine. That's 1/3 the price??
Wow!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Did they "special order" the foot? If not, and they still won't give you your money back, maybe you should go see the Better Business Bureau and see if they can get it resolved. If they can't then I would write to Bernina headquarters and see if something can be done. If not, then after using up your "script" I would tell them I am through being a customer with them and you will tell all your friends about their "customer service". My opinion.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SharonC
Sounds like poor repeat business practices to me. I'd take a copy of our comments the next time you're are near the store to let them know how we feel as a community against poor business issues :)
Me too! And I would inform them that next time you will name the store!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Prism, how could I get my walking foot for less than 50.00??
It's a Bernina dealership where I bought my machine. That's 1/3 the price??
Wow!
Hmmm..... I wonder if they've come down in price? Or if there is more than one kind of Bernina walking foot (my machine is an older 1230)? Or if some local dealerships just overcharge?

Or, heaven forbid, my memory is failing me. Again!

I did a quick Google after your post and prices seem to range from about $50 to $100 online ($100 at Clotilde's for one that fits my 1230).

Edit: According to the following website, the "Bernina branded" walking foot retails for $160. Does your walking foot have Bernina on the side of it? (Mine does.) Apparently there are Bernina walking feet available that are exactly the same but are not branded and sell for half as much.
http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....new-style.aspx