Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 AM

Thanks everyone for the support. I have made it thru the holiday season mostly intact. Those darn sales out there are like the Siren's calling Ulysses. If I can make it thru today and not drive down south, I am fine.

I have cut out 12 charity quilt tops to work on thruout the year and am going to cut out the bindings today and tie each kit up with ribbon.

Then I am just going to start at the top of the pile and sew sew sew.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Thanks everyone for the support. I have made it thru the holiday season mostly intact. Those darn sales out there are like the Siren's calling Ulysses. If I can make it thru today and not drive down south, I am fine.

I have cut out 12 charity quilt tops to work on thruout the year and am going to cut out the bindings today and tie each kit up with ribbon.

Then I am just going to start at the top of the pile and sew sew sew.
Good for you, Sweetana - I like the idea of cutting out the quilt tops then wrapping them like presents. they will be a gift for you to open each time you start a quilt and a gift to the utlimate receipient. Now, STAY HOME!!! Do not go out and spend! This is like AA - call a sponsor if you need help! Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 PM

My box arrived and I had ordered extra of the one that turned out to be right! Just not enough extra. So I made my final order a bit ago. Now I am counting down until New Year's Day. Under 3 hours to go here. I also just finished my MQ from a class I took in Stuttgart that ended earlier this month. Feeling accomplished. The morning will bring fabric cutting for quilts planned for 2013. Happy New Year, everyone! May we all manage to live up to our moratorium plans, make beautiful quilts, be happy, healthy and prosperous in all of the ways that truly matter!!Tanya
Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM

I totally lucked out...a friend just bought me over two boxes of fabrics ; ) been washing and cutting all day.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM

I broke down today and bought one more fabric pre-cut from Missouri Star. Loved that $1.00 charm pack and bought a 5" wide pre-cut (like a jelly roll) for a total of $29 with shipping. I also bought a little more stash for my scrub caps that I sell so I should be good for a while.

Fortunately, I can make 2 scrub caps from 1/2 yard so there's nothing left, not even scrap-size so I toss what little is left into my dog beds.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I have been sorely tempted....but..I have managed to already begin my fabric moratorium...haven't bought any fabric since first pasted on this thread! THIS HAS NOT BEEN EASY!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM

So, PaperPrincess - tomorrow is the official start. do we follow progress on this thread or will there be a fresh one under Challenges. Just wondering, in case I feel the pull of the fabric hoodlums who try to ensnare me. I backed off "just going along for the ride" with a friend who wants to go to a LQS that is having a clearance at $1.00 per yard (minimym 5 yard cut). Now, doesn't that show backbone on my part?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM

I've bought one yard since I agreed to try this, but I know what I'm doing with it and the other fabrics for that quilt came from my stash. I still need a little for a quilt back, but I promise myself no extras. Tough to do during a sale.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
So, PaperPrincess - tomorrow is the official start. do we follow progress on this thread or will there be a fresh one under Challenges. Just wondering, in case I feel the pull of the fabric hoodlums who try to ensnare me. I backed off "just going along for the ride" with a friend who wants to go to a LQS that is having a clearance at $1.00 per yard (minimym 5 yard cut). Now, doesn't that show backbone on my part?
Good for you!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 PM

I have only purchased fabric I needed exclusively for backings of three Christmas gifts and a lap size wallhanging for our home. That was a total of 3.5 yards of cotton LQS quality fabric. My biggest "pat on your back" was finding a piece of border print fabric which could be used for the largest part of the wallhanging. By using this print from my stash --- obtained earlier this year from a thrift store, fussy cutting remaining fabric from the wallhanging kit, and purchasing one yard of coordinating fabric --- tah dah! --- the wallhanging is now reversible. :-)

DH purchased the wallhanging kit in October and likes both sides. He didn't know which side to display....

I am carefully cutting scraps in to strips and squares, piecing leftover batting, and totally enjoying the process of using my stash thus far. Hopefully, the practicing I did during the month of December will help me improve my skills and actually use this stash!

Happy New Year to all members of this board...... Looking forward to a pieceful new year....