Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Hi,

i am going try super hard to do this....I'm in! I have stash plus kits and more kits and more kits....most of which also have the backing and binding included! I should be good until 2015...but will start with just this coming year!

Bev
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Well, I did go to my LQS to purchase backing for a wall hanging and another backing for the table runners I made the children for Christmas gifts. I was working on the wall hanging today and made up some 1/2 square triangles from the flying geese units as I went along. My sewing area is neat and I am determined to finish up UFO's and start new projects. I have ideas rolling around in my head and can't wait to get started on so many things!! I will continue with the personal journal so that I can look back and see what I have accomplished. This has been a month of many accomplishments. :-)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 AM

I think this is a wonderful idea. More so since I got all my fabric out of totes and found some that is years and years old. So every time I get an idea, I shop the "store" in the spare bedroom.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 AM

since I do QAYG type quilts, I won't need to buy backing. I can piece the back and usually get compliments on the quilt back too which is always nice to hear.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Well I think I'm doomed before I even get started!!! I got the class list for our winter classes at our LQS and see a couple of classes that I really want to take!!!

One class I have been wanting to take is the French Braid. Guess what...I don't have yardage so I will need to purchase fabric!!!!

There is another class using precuts that I really want to try...but other then background fabric I have the precuts so yay!!!

So I think I have to amend my earlier goal of only using my stash. My goal will instead be to use what I can first out of my stash and if I need to purchase, well I'll have to. That French Braid is going to require a bit of fabric but wow, I can't not do it.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM

YEA!!!! A group of quilting "friends" who can (help) me keep on target. I vowed, just before seeing this post, that I would not get anything "material" for myself. BUT, I might go to some quilting shows and PROMISE I won't buy a THING! (Especially after reading and contributing to the postings about all the stuff we shouldn't have bought!!!!!) A great idea!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I will give it a shot. I am taking the new Craftsy BOM and if they offer the fabric the instructor is using, I have to admit that I'll be buying it. I am also doing a BOM that I already started, but I won't buy anything else, if I can help it. Some times the fabric just speaks to me and I melt.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM

This should be an interesting experiment to see how long I can do this. I signed up for 3 BOM for this year, so I won't count those. I will try buying only finishing items to complete a quilt. Like many other quilter's here, I've cut back on buying, but will support my LQS as I need things. Count me in for this. Thank-you for doing this.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM

The shipping elves are going to crush my chances at this before I even begin! I ordered some Moda Marbles fabric (1/2yd pieces) to check against a cream scrap I had left from making the soldier's quilt and it hasn't arrived. I ordered it more than 2 weeks ago thinking it would arrive in time for me to match it and make my last order before the 1 January cutoff for shopping. But as of yesterday it still hadn't arrived!! Aaarrrgggg!!! I am so mad about that because I wanted to start the moratorium off right and make my DS's quilt next month. I am so irritated at thinking I will likely not be able to order this fabric before we start the moratorium and thereby not be able to make my son's quilt. I hate to disappoint him since he picked out the fabrics ( not many 16 y/o boys are into that) or fail myself on trying to not shop. What to do?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-T View Post
The shipping elves are going to crush my chances at this before I even begin! I ordered some Moda Marbles fabric (1/2yd pieces) to check against a cream scrap I had left from making the soldier's quilt and it hasn't arrived. I ordered it more than 2 weeks ago thinking it would arrive in time for me to match it and make my last order before the 1 January cutoff for shopping. But as of yesterday it still hadn't arrived!! Aaarrrgggg!!! I am so mad about that because I wanted to start the moratorium off right and make my DS's quilt next month. I am so irritated at thinking I will likely not be able to order this fabric before we start the moratorium and thereby not be able to make my son's quilt. I hate to disappoint him since he picked out the fabrics ( not many 16 y/o boys are into that) or fail myself on trying to not shop. What to do?
Maybe we (or others on the moratorium) could swap - if we have what you need and you have something that looks pretty to us - we can stay on the moratorium and still everybody gets what they want! Give us more info on what you are looking for!